Ubuntu operating system is it better than microsoft windows?

Will it or won't it work in Bulgaria? Which is the best option?

Moderator: Moderator

scasparz
Super User!
Super User!

Postby scasparz » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:04 pm

South Koreans are suiting Apple on iPhone location services en mass. Some about 27,000 cases have already been filed. They do not look indifferent to me.

More on the BBC at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14571734

cheers everyone

B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:42 pm

Someone said…
South Koreans are suiting Apple on iPhone location services en mass. Some about 27,000 cases have already been filed. They do not look indifferent to me.

It’s the accent. They’re sueting apples to make dumplings for Ivan’s (the restaurant chain) but making a mess. They’ve already shipped 27,000 cases of the poor dumplings. However, I guess they don’t look any different (to you, at least). Ivan may turn them down though.

gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:45 pm

I was thinking of making fun of "bolding" but couldn't be bothered. At least "suiting" exists as a word, even if the "it" factor means it's not quite the right one in this case :D

scasparz
Super User!
Super User!

Postby scasparz » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:09 pm

Apologies for the typo, am not a native speaker. Point remains they are not indifferent.

cheers all

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:19 am

scasparz wrote:Apologies for the typo, am not a native speaker. Point remains they are not indifferent.

No need to apologise - there's no shortage of native speakers on this forum whose English is considerably worse than yours, mon ami. Taking the pee out of foreigners' English has long been a British sport but doing the same to their fellow-countrymen is regarded as an insult :wink:

scasparz
Super User!
Super User!

Postby scasparz » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:55 am

Thanks.

scasparz
Super User!
Super User!

Oh, not again...

Postby scasparz » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:14 pm

Microsoft's cloud services have been subject to an outage early Friday morning. Interrupted services include Office 365 -that is the cloud version of the popular Microsoft Office app-, Hotmail -Microsoft's on line mailer-, Skydrive -a file hosting service-, MSN etc.

Microsoft has announced they believe the cause of the problem has been a DNS failure, yet this is hardly convincing. For a failure of one DNS by itself -even if it happens to be an authoritative one- fails to disrupt the operation of the countless DNS servers available as part of the world wide web, many of which operate on a much higher level caching IP addresses.

Not to say, that in case microsoft has devised their entire cloud business depended on just one DNS, which apparently happens to not be failsafe, then this is very-very poor planning indeed. I am sorry, for what is really laughable to me, may be a source of problems for their customers. In any case it is too amateurish.

This was the second outage on microsoft's cloud within a month. Point is 'a big network is equivalent with big problems' which apparently even microsoft cannot cope with.

For those interested follow this http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/microsofts-office-365-outages-pile-up-growing-pains-or-uptime-issues/57680, that is a microsoft friendly site.

cheers mates

johnheating

Postby johnheating » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:16 pm

Hello scasparz and everybody else....

After a long health reason, I am back to see that nothing is changed in this posting.
Everybody says how good is Windows and scasparz says how good is Linux.

Well Ok, while in bed with nothing else to do, I've tried the Ubuntu 11.04, Not bad I can say, if you compare it with version 8, one I had long time ago, this one you don't even have to give it IP address or gateway details. Works first time with no effort and the User interface is much improved. Downloads and installs a good selection of programs and gives you the chance to connect to Ubuntu Market similar to Android Market, that you can download and install free or paid apps.

I think it came a long way from my earlier experiences.
It is now worth taking a look if you are looking for an alternative Operating system to Windows. Well now the operating system takes over 18Gb so it must be doing something better.....

The thing that I found is that the Skype does not work properly. Maybe scasparz would be kind enough to advice if pos.

Otherwise for an alternative system to VISTA (sorry that's all I can afford and I HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH IT) it is well worth having Ubuntu in a corner of your hard disk and tinker with all the free downloadable apps available.

That's only my opinion. :wink:

scasparz
Super User!
Super User!

Dennis Ritchie...

Postby scasparz » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:37 am

who together with Ken Thomson and Brian Kernighan, developed the Unix operating system in the late sixties, passed away on Sat Oct 8th. Ritchie is considered a computing great, a kind of a founding father.

He left behind a considerable legacy, with Linux, Apple's OS X, and Google's Android and Chrome-OS all being Unix based systems.

For those interested more can be found at http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/oct/13/dennis-ritchie

scasparz
Super User!
Super User!

About Sting and a few other topics

Postby scasparz » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:12 am

In computer jargon a rootkit is defined as
a set of software tools that allows someone to access a computer system without being detected

Carrier IQ is -according to Wikipedia- a privately-owned mobile software company, which specializes in
providing mobile analytics services for smartphones to the Wireless industry

The company maintains formal business affiliations with Nielsen Company, NEC, and HTC Corporation. They also claim their software is deployed in over 150 million devices worldwide.

Trevor Eckhart is a systems administrator with interests on HTC smartphones.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is an international non-profit digital rights advocacy and legal organization based in the United States.

The plot:
Mr Eckhart has released on youtube a video where he describes the operation of a rootkit he discovered on his HTC/Android based smartphone. This software -written by Carrier IQ, appears to be a key-logger, for as he demonstrated it tracks every keystroke the user makes. This includes everything from dial-up numbers, to SMSs, even the Web pages he visited including those which were supposed to be encrypted through HTTPS. The later is the protocol employed for example on financial transactions committed through the use of a credit card. Of equal importance is that the user cannot deactivate this 'service'. According to the Time magazine, Carrier IQ calls what it does 'mobile service intelligence'.

Once Mr Eckhart's video was uploaded on youtube, Carrier IQ threatened him with legal action via a cease and desist letter. However following EFF's backing to Mr Eckhart, Carrier IQ backed down and apologized for the attempt.

Although Echkart demonstrated that data acquired are transmitted to Carrier IQ -as usual at the owner's expense, I presume-, the company responded with the statement 'The metrics and tools we derive are not designed to deliver such information, nor do we have any intention of developing such tools'. :^o

Following the publicity around the issue, US Senator Al Franken asked Carrier IQ for an explanation of its practices. As for me, I cannot think of a better way to describe this other than the lyrics of an old song:
every breath you take, every move you make, every bond you break, every step you take
I'll be watching you
every single day, every word you say, every game you play, every night you stay
I'll be watching you

The sources:
About Carrier IQ: Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_IQ
Trevor Eckhart's home page: http://trevoreckhart.com/
Mr Eckhart's video on HTC/Android: http://androidsecuritytest.com/features/logs-and-services/loggers/carrieriq/carrieriq-part2/
The Huffington Post first report: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/30/carrier-iq-trevor-eckhart_n_1120727.html
The Huffington Post additional report (which I have found to be rather interesting): http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/01/carrier-iq-iphone-android-blackberry_n_1123575.html?ref=technology
It also seems it has caught the attention of the Beeb: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15982225

ciao mates, I 'll be watching you...

Return to “Computers/Internet Access/Mobiles/TV/Video”