Last Night My Cat Saved My Life / Smoke Alarm Reminder !!

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
AngloBulgarian

Last Night My Cat Saved My Life / Smoke Alarm Reminder !!

Postby AngloBulgarian » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:02 am

Dont know ware to post this MOD to let me know and ill move it.

At the moment it appears if something bad is going to happen its going to happen to either Moscow Wolf Or me!

Since the Petchka was installed a month ago i have had no problems and im delighted with it - however last night i was very hard on asleep when the cat came into the bedroom and started mowing and mowing and Mowing.

Eventually i awoke and immediately began to cough, switching the light on i could not see the door 2m away, thick white smoke had filled the house from top to bottom, i got downstairs as quickly as i could - its hard to state how difficult that is when you carnt see the stairs.

Thick smoke was billowing out of the air intake vent of the petchka - something had blocked the chimney.

I immediately, then put the fire out opened every door and window in the house. I do not know the exact cause of he problem yet but thats not the point.

THE POINT IS:

SMOKE DOES NOT WAKE YOU UP!!

I had been breathing thick smoke for i dont know how long.

Just cos there is NO possibility your Petchka can set anything on fire does not mean it carnt kill you and your family - I am 100% convinced i would be dead now were it not for the cat!

Dont be like me, fitting smoke alarms was on my "to do" list, TAKE IT OFF YOUR TO DO LIST AND PUT IT ON YOUR DONE LIST, Practika is open today so DO IT.

To all who have, go test them today.

ADDITIONAL a large Petchka well stoked up for the night takes about 20L of water to extinguish - very difficult to do with a jug in thick smoke; go spend the 20lv and buy a car sized CO2 fire extinguisher - that's all it would have taken.

If your thinking something like - why dint he use a bucket instead of a jug; one thing you dont realize is YOU CAN ONLY USE WHAT YOU CAN SEE and if visibility is 1m then its very difficult, so keep that fire extinguisher in a fixed location so you can feel your way to it in zero visibility!!!!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
silky4015

Postby silky4015 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:43 am

Very wise words.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scanniaman
Penny Pincher

Postby scanniaman » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:45 am

Well thank God you had a cat AB ! I'm just curious ...is it abs nec to keep your fire going all nite ? I'm abs certain that I would make sure it had gone out before going to bed myself otherwise I wouldn't rest for exactly the same problem that you had .
scanniaman.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
AngloBulgarian

Postby AngloBulgarian » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:54 am

Simple answer NO.

AND this is the first time i had - is was very cold, thought it would be nice to wake up to in the morning. And hey what could go wrong? Its on a stone floor by a stone wall the nearest piece of furniture is 1.5m away , its a sealed unit.

I have no idea what happened - its a new house so the chimney liner hasn't collapsed. Its taught me a lesson though:

Dont assume (with things like fires) that cos you carnt think of anything that can go wrong; something wont!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
kazz
<b>Country Advisor/Property Finder</b>

Postby kazz » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:27 pm

Maybe your chimney was blocked....maybe, (also possible) you had one of those freak winds which resulted in the smoke going the wrong was....if the chimney is not properly designed then this can happen. Most ofteb it happens when the fire is first lit (in which case, by definition you know about it) or as it dies down (which is likely to happen when you're asleep....)
Most of us do keep our fires going into the night.....it gets COLD here.
So glad the cat woke you....wise words about the smoke alarms and thanks for reminding us about this.....you never know, you may also have saved a life today.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
AngloBulgarian

Postby AngloBulgarian » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:45 pm

For those who would like to know - Kazz is right, its a simple mistake in the construction of the Chimney.

The top of the chimney is a cube of bricks with 4 holes - each corner is made up of 2 bricks in an L. on one side the (north East where the wind is coming from) they are positioned with the 2 short sides creating a large opening. On the S/W side they are positioned with the 2 long sides creating the opening - result high pressure at the top of the chimney as the air tries to exit through the small opening. Not previously had a NE wind with the fire in so not previously had the problem.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
construction_help

smoke

Postby construction_help » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:05 pm

Well done to your cat!!!! you owe it many cat treats this christmas.

This happened to us our first christmas here, the pipe was slightly blocked and the wind blew down the chimney. We have now re-designed the pipe lay out and ontop of the chimney we have put a top on to stop wind blowing direct down and rain/snow etc. For the last 3 years we have been ok fingers crossed and we leave our fire going all nite on very cold nites.

But great advise from you, smoke alarms are a must (to be honest we have never got round to it but will now after your experience, before its to late)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
AngloBulgarian

Postby AngloBulgarian » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:31 pm

The scary thing is you think you would wake up - BUT YOU DONT!

And how amazingly disorientating it is not to be able to see more than 50cm in every direction - and this is in a house you live in; God only knows how you would fare in a Hotel ETC.

You have to move around by feeling your way - and that IS SLOW!!!! And slow is bad where fire and smoke are concerned.

Please everyone BUY those alarms, TEST those alarms.

Thats my near death experience for this month - wonder what it will be next month LOL

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:40 pm

AB

"Thou knowest not the number of thy days !"

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fred
Super User!
Super User!

Postby fred » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:30 pm

Just trying to cheer us all up now eh Scot :?

Well done escaping the grim reaper Anglo, good advice as well.

Good advice were ever you live, get a smoke alarm, if for heavens sake you don't already have one, and test it regularly.

In the words of the great Julie Walters " go on pull your finger out ".

Keep safe all.

Cheers Fred.

Return to “General Discussion”