martial arts, boxing

A Forum aimed at individuals or companies who can give or need advice about doing business in Bulgaria and related information and news.

Moderator: Moderator

chrisbelfast
Super User!
Super User!

Postby chrisbelfast » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:52 am

Hi Bevjo,
Small world eh Bevjo, I trained at Billys Gym a good few years ago along with Gary Hamilton when he first started kick-boxing. Bevjo is right, its an old tin building, nothing flash but it is renowned throughout Belfast and Northern Ireland for producing champions and a lot of girls attend it as well and really enjoy it.

Is there any Taekwondo in Bulgaria? .....I trained at that for over 9 years and then done Kick-Boxing at Billy Murrays.

I don't go to Billy's anymore, I use a normal gym for weights and fitness and go to a Boxing gym in Belfast once or twice a week for fitness now as I get bored with just normal gyms and have always enjoyed these styles of training.

I know that Bulgaria has had some Boxers come through, I saw a local up and coming guy from Northern Ireland box a former European Champion from Bulgaria in Belfast in December, Tontcho Tontchev. He also boxed in the 92 Olympics and won a silver medal at the 96 Olympics, so there must be a few Boxing gyms around which are great for getting fit in. A Kick-Boxing / Boxing style training and martial arts has to be the best form of exercise.

Chris

bevjo

Postby bevjo » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:46 pm

Hey Chris,

Yes it is a small world, too small at times in Belfast anway.

Gary Hamilton is still going strong and a few others and Billys not fighting anymore, still I wouldn't cross him have you seen him move he'd scare the crap outa ya, there's some very good girl fighters also.

The gym has big plans for the end of this year I think, Its gonna be very upmarket, saunas jacuzzi's the lot....

I agree that a kick boxing / boxing is the best form of exercise, especially when Billy Murrys teaching, its tough going but fantastic.

I think there are a few kick boxing clubs in Bulgaria but not sure whether there in the beach resorts.

chrisbelfast
Super User!
Super User!

Postby chrisbelfast » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:13 pm

It is a small world, Belfast is like a village :lol: .....not seen Gary in a while, he's very good indeed. Last I seen him was in the city centre one weekend, used to see him jog a lot around the boucher road.

Billy was very good, I have him on tape winning the European title at the Ulster Hall, I also was at his comeback in the waterfront hall in his rematch with Chart Singh. He really has brought Kick-Boxing alive in Nothern Ireland and put it on the map.

Sounds like pro-kick is going up-market alright :D ....not been inside his gym in a long time, I got out of the way for it for a few years and this past year or so started Boxing training for fitness along with the normal gym which is good.

I'm sure there is kick boxing in Bulgaria cities etc, its all certainly great training for fitness and you get put through your paces :D

Chris

musicman
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby musicman » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:55 pm

bevjo wrote:Musicman,

I have to disagree with your point regarding poor facilities, I train at prokick head quarters in Belfast, the club has been going sinse 1990 and it's still in the tin hut it started off in, sweat drips down the walls and mirrors and it stinks of sweat also, our coach is Billy Murruy who has been world champion a few times over and he is very much hands on, ...

Hello bevjo,

Did you not read the first part of my post regarding reputation? That's what makes the difference.

I know Murray and he is regarded as one of NI's most respected kickboxers - so he could train in a sewer and he'd get people in.

But for someone who isn't known, then i'd say having a **** gym isn't going to do you any favours when trying to get new clients in.

Regards
Music

chrisbelfast
Super User!
Super User!

Postby chrisbelfast » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:00 pm

musicman wrote:
bevjo wrote:Musicman,

I have to disagree with your point regarding poor facilities, I train at prokick head quarters in Belfast, the club has been going sinse 1990 and it's still in the tin hut it started off in, sweat drips down the walls and mirrors and it stinks of sweat also, our coach is Billy Murruy who has been world champion a few times over and he is very much hands on, ...

Hello bevjo,

Did you not read the first part of my post regarding reputation? That's what makes the difference.

I know Murray and he is regarded as one of NI's most respected kickboxers - so he could train in a sewer and he'd get people in.

But for someone who isn't known, then i'd say having a **** gym isn't going to do you any favours when trying to get new clients in.

Regards
Music

Hi Music,
I know what your saying, Billy has the reputation to get people in. I think as long as the gym is spaceous, looks bright and clean and has good solid basic facilities that is all that is really needed. In general Boxing / Kick-Boxing gyms are not flash, but good space to train and good facilitlies to use and you are flying :D

Chris

bevjo

Postby bevjo » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:32 pm

ok, have been looking at starting different ventures over in bg but had no response to some of my questions.
just want to try this one. I dont know of any martial arts practised or originating in bulgaria. among other things i am a martial arts instructor. not in one particular art, but more mixed martial arts. in my case adapted for streetfighting and door security, however can instruct in several and the model would be to open various schools. have also been a boxing coach. i wondered whether anybody thinks there maybe a market for this, it would just need a small halland i can get seminars frompeople in england,europe and america(if there was enough interest). i havent heard of anywhere in bg doing this unless someone knows different. also if anybody knows of any premises. all replies would be gratefully appreciated whatever your view.
we could have the next bulgarian boxing champion

Musicman....

Ehh No i can't see anything on that post aboout reputation......

All I was saying is you have to start somewhere and build it up and your reputation will come from that, no one has a reputation when you start up a new venture thats up to you to build on it, who cares what the facalities are like its the coach and the training that brings people back.

It was a message to encourage you but if you can't take that on board then i'll keep my encouragement to myself ......... But hey if you don't want peoples comments or in your mind negative feedback then don't ask for peoples opinions....

chrisbelfast
Super User!
Super User!

Postby chrisbelfast » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:57 pm

Hi Bevjo, I should off added a good coach and training into my post above, after all what use is a gym unless there is a coach that is good to teach people who dont know :D

Chris

patricia

Postby patricia » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:49 am

Hi Bevjo

Being a past Judo champion and coach (Has Been) :cry: I know that Bulgaria has produced some excellent Judoka and Karate players, who have had major successes in both the European and World Championships. Not sure what goes on in the Varna area though.

Patricua

musicman
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby musicman » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:41 am

Hi bevjo,

Are you getting me mixed up with the original poster or are you just punch drunk? :lol: Why do I need encouragement?

I suggest you re-read MY posts - I didn't start this thread.

Best Regards
Music

bevjo

Postby bevjo » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:09 pm

musicman wrote:Hi bevjo,

Are you getting me mixed up with the original poster or are you just punch drunk? :lol: Why do I need encouragement?

I suggest you re-read MY posts - I didn't start this thread.

Best Regards
Music

Well Musicman...shame on me...

I not punch drunk, i'm blocked :oops:

My appoligies!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Business Link”