Advice re flaking paint

If you have bought property and need (or can recommend) reliable tradesmen of any profession please post here.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Jude
Super User!
Super User!

Advice re flaking paint

Postby Jude » Thu May 22, 2008 10:58 am

Not sure where to post this topic.

We have a problem with our paint flaking off the walls due to I presume rising damp - the renovation is approx 18 months old. Please can someone advise what is the best course of action - the plaster is still intact so is it possible to coat the walls with something to prevent this problem re occurring. Not much of a DIY person I'm afraid.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
siddy
Super User!
Super User!

flaking paint

Postby siddy » Thu May 22, 2008 11:08 am

Hi,Jude.
Probably not rising damp. More a case of the crap cheap paint they use.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Jude
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Jude » Thu May 22, 2008 11:11 am

Thanks Siddy - anyone know where to buy decent paint

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mickswa

flaking paint

Postby mickswa » Thu May 22, 2008 11:20 am

repaint,repaint and thin no more...

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
seathrift
Super User!
Super User!

Postby seathrift » Thu May 22, 2008 11:44 am

Is the paint coming off all over the wall or just locally? If it at the bottom only it maybe rising damp. If it all over the wall then it maybe the paint quality and it maybe condensation. Before you can solve the problem you need to know what is the cause. Is there mould growing anywhere? The cause may also be at least in part lack of ventilation and it may also be poorly insulated walls. You need a competent person to look at it and advise you. Good quality paint is available at most of the big DIY stores but that may not solve the problem for you.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
jinx57
<b>Property Finder</b>

damp

Postby jinx57 » Thu May 22, 2008 1:23 pm

there's paint and paint! Who were your builders and do they have a reputation for using cheap products?

Maybe rising damp. Do you have a french drain dug round the property and filled with pea shingle or the bulg equivalent.

try digging a trench say 18inches wide with the bottom of it sloping away from the wall and the house side of the drain sloping away into the trench.
Fill with pea shingle. OK, this is a fairly basic french drain but could help.

Repaint the wall after having had a scrape down. As an undercoat dilute some tile glue till it's like PVA and paint the wall with this.

It may be worth going to Mr Bricolage for the paint and using the best quality which may also be the most expensive.

Loads of advise from builders and those who think they are builders will no doubt come your way on this forum. Being simple folk ourselves, we'd advise you to keep it simple and take personal recommendation from other folk in your village or locally who can vouch for a builder or tradesman.

Good luck

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
AJ113
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby AJ113 » Thu May 22, 2008 5:50 pm

The first thing you must do is ascertain whether it is rising damp or condensation. Tape a one-foot-square of aluminium foil to the offending area. Make sure all the edges of the square are fully taped and sealed. leave for 48 hours. If dampness appears on the outside of the square it is condensation, if moisture is evident on the back of the square when you take the tape off, it is damp seeping in through the walls.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
rodz
Super User!
Super User!

advice re reflaking paint

Postby rodz » Thu May 22, 2008 6:08 pm

Iv had the same problem. However I wasnt happy with the paintwork so the company came and re painted (well some of it). However I watched them, the trouble seem to be that the mix water with the paint, and I think this causes the flaking in time. It happened to me so I re decorated myself. Not only does it look a 100 times better but Iv had no problems since

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Jude
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Jude » Thu May 22, 2008 7:59 pm

Thank you for all your help - will let you all know if when and how we manage to solve the problem :?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
DANNIA
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby DANNIA » Thu May 22, 2008 8:22 pm

Hi Jude

we also have flaking paint, however ours is due to the walls being damp after new plaster and the house not being lived in.
We had some "grunt" (like pva) painted on which has definitely helped, but some areas just need to completely dry out before we try again.

Interesting tip AJ on how to ascertain damp or condensation.

Jude the paint shop up the small set of steps at the side of the Pazaar, where the car park is, does very good paint.

Nikki

Return to “Trades People”