Bulgaria will be world class golf destination

Discussion room for new/proposed golf courses and developments in Bulgaria…and for other related sporting activities, initiatives and chat.

Moderator: Moderator

BulgariaGazette

Bulgaria will be world class golf destination

Postby BulgariaGazette » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:57 pm

Bulgaria has the potential and will become a world class golf destination in seven to ten years.

However, in order for this to be achieved both the business and the government must collaborate, experts who wished to remain anonymous.

According to them, some Bulgarian golf courses comply with all European standards, and can host professional tournaments. This cannot happen, though, until golf’s popularity grows in the country, and a professional Bulgarian golf players does not start playing.

“We have the place, we have everything, we just don’t have the people. There are already too many golf courses for the people in the country”, representatives of the business said....

Please do not use the forum to promote your site. Mod 8)

njw
Super User!
Super User!

Postby njw » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:11 pm

Hi all,has anybody any news on the proposed golf course above the village of Momchilovtsi ,6km east of Pamporovo ski resort ?
I have in my possession a copy of the plans but everything has gone quiet .

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:25 pm

anonymous because they are scared of backlash, repurcushions, or the fact that it was two drunken blokes in a pub one night having p*ssed up banter and it carries as much meaning as starting a mountaineering centre in Holland.

Call me suspicious in my old age, but me thinks there may be an REA, Developer or someone in the tourist board involved. If there is a tourist board ?

bgcarl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby bgcarl » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:07 pm

Pardon me, I spent a lot of my youth in the Dutch Alps!

dazza
<b>Property Sales/Building Services</b>

Postby dazza » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:24 am

I read the full article in Novinite.There are indeed too many golf courses for the number of golfers in Bulgaria.The idea of Bulgaria being a major golf destination is a joke.Ever tried playing golf in 6ft of snow ?.

blackaqua
Super User!
Super User!

Postby blackaqua » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:48 am

dazza wrote:I read the full article in Novinite.There are indeed too many golf courses for the number of golfers in Bulgaria.The idea of Bulgaria being a major golf destination is a joke.Ever tried playing golf in 6ft of snow ?.

Four :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005

dazza

Postby dazza » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:52 am

And while I am on the subject, although St Sofia is feasible as a course because its in Sofia with loads of ex pat professionals, how is one supposed to get to the three Black Sea courses.There are hardly any flights so hire of a magic carpet would seem to be in order !.

B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:40 am

Although you’re probably right re. Bulgaria not becoming a major golf destination, I don’t think the fact that we have snow is a problem, in that regard, otherwise most of Canada and the northern half of the US would be without golf courses.

Yet they flourish (and not necessarily through the participation solely of local players) despite the climate, which is much like Bulgaria btw.

Also, although I'm sure it would be nice to be close to a major airport, I doubt whether many courses in those areas that I’ve mentioned have that luxury.

dazza

Postby dazza » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:44 am

Airport proximity is important if the clientele are foreign or coming from long distances.Please also remember that the major courses like Augusta are in the Southern US.

Dazza

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:44 am

As I sit here on my balcony having my morning tea and reading "Trud", I can see whole squadrons of pigs flying past.

Return to “Golf in Bulgaria…and other sports!”