Scheduled Flights From The UK to Bulgaria

For advice, tips and information on new travel routes/prices to Bulgaria or needing internal travel advice? This is the right Forum!

Moderator: Moderator

leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:06 pm

Balkan holidays have just announced new route Leeds Bradford to Sofia for winter flights. http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=114504

shazbat

getting to Bulgaria

Postby shazbat » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:04 pm

Dear Blackwell

" What about the Southerners " You want to come to the North west because we dont have one cheap carrier to Bourgas Bulgaria. We are screwed by Thomas Cook and thompson because the OFT allowed them to merge with from 4 companies to 2. So now they have us by the short and curlies. The average cost for a flight from the North west is about £260 and thats in June. In July its over £300. Thats in comparison to XL who used to charge us £140. And yes they went bust. But what no-one mentions is 12 months before Thomas Cook and Thompson merged with the other 2 companies they withdrew the Bulgarian flights from XL and took them in house. Where were the OFT because they are supposed to stop organisations having the monopoly on the market. So the outcome is the 2 big companies withdrew holidays and flights from the market and charge more for those that are left. We should all contact the Competition commission and ask for an investigation. There does not seem to be any plans for cheaper carriers to fly from Liverpool to Bourgas so we have to continue to be extorted by the big 2 travel companies. So we all need to start e-mailing your M.Ps the OFT because they sanctioned the mergers. Sorry this is so long but if Luton was closer I would travel there. That would help the Green agenda dont ya think. We have friends who own a property in the same village as us. They fly from Luton for less than half of what we pay.

Happy Holidays

Sharon

nicnoc
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

midlands to varna flights a thing of the past

Postby nicnoc » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:56 pm

I agree Sharon....I live close to Manchester Bham East Mids and liverpool none of which offer flights to Varna for less than a remortgage! For the last 2 yrs we have gone with wizz from luton but this isnt ideal. i was hoping wizz would introduce a weekly flight from liverpool however its not forthcoming. what i fail to understand is that considering how many 'northerners' own in BG how come easyjet/ryanair/wizz havent jumped on the band wagon as they would make a mint!! do they not see the potential here???? i emailed easy jet and wizz last yr to put the idea in their head but for the 4th yr running its like banging your head against a brick wall. although balkan fly from manchester thay only do weekly blocks so if you go for 3 or 4 weeks like us ur stuffed! very frustrating as like u say a flight from luton or gatwick is peanuts!!! :? :? :roll:

rubbertoe
Super User!
Super User!

Postby rubbertoe » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:41 pm

Never mind northern England, think of us poor souls in Scotland with no chance of winter flights or cheap flight operators. Even flights from Newcastle once or twice a weeks throughout the year would be a great help.
Maybe things will improve in the future lol

stewarty
drunken lout

Postby stewarty » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:59 pm

I remember paying in 2006, 49 quid, Edin - Varna return, with first choice!

AH, the good ole days...

Blackwell

Postby Blackwell » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:19 am

Don't think it matters where you live in the UK (or Scotland and Ireland) everyone who wants flights out here gets stuffed.
I agree, why can't the cheap carriers do 1 flight a week from a regional airport.
Found wiz most expensive for June.
Apparently Varna landing fees are extorsionit. Just looked at prices for a friend coming out and even worse now since the volcano!!!

kempa
Super User!
Super User!

Postby kempa » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:55 am

We have had many enquiries about renting our apartment in Chernomorets but people have cried off when they find out the extortionate plane fares. In fact it is cheaper for us to fly to Gatwick from Istanbul. Euros 28 one way in October...
How many people bought property/apartments when flights were cheap a few years ago. We used to fly out (before moving here in 2007) 2-3 times a year for around 60 pounds sterling return.... the good old days...
Cheers
Kempa

doberden
<b>Property Sales/Rental/Management</b>

Postby doberden » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:34 am

Hi Kempa
Why dont you rent to bulgarians?? no flights to worry about. Just a thought
We have for the last 4 years and no problems, always full every summer.

GraemeandHelen

Postby GraemeandHelen » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:15 pm

Surely we should all be lobbying the Bulgarian government re flight prices to encourage them to get landing fees down and encouraging budget airlines. We bought when flights were cheap as did so many others and now many owners are not going to their own properties, let alone getting any UK rentals.
We all know that the tourist trade in Bulgaria has slumped, mainly due to cost, so surely the government should be doing something about it?

kasa

Postby kasa » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:33 pm

Think you should be looking at the British Government as well, the taxes are what have increased the prices over the last few years.

Return to “Getting to & travelling in Bulgaria”