new business boarding kennels

A Forum aimed at individuals or companies who can give or need advice about doing business in Bulgaria and related information and news.

Moderator: Moderator

flowers

new business boarding kennels

Postby flowers » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:42 pm

hi everyone,
my brother is thinking of converting old barns on his land, and` starting a business, boarding kennels, he lives close to dobrich, we are doing market research ,to see if this business would be viable or not, your views would be very much appreciated, would any of you people out there, be interested,? is there a need? we know how difficult it is starting a new business ,but without the customers, there would be no business ,thanks everyone look foward to your replys

miltonmuskateers
<b>Building Services</b>

Postby miltonmuskateers » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:42 pm

I can only say that you will be targeting the brits for business.the bulgarians just seem to get by with a neighbour, or just leave a loaf of bread with the dog and hope its enough food for the duration. are there many brits in a reasonable traveling distance from your area?I am no expert but i think you need to sum up all of these factors before spending any money.

buttercup
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby buttercup » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:52 pm

hi there to my knowledge there are 3 boarding kennels in the surrounding area. 1 in Sokolovo, 1 called Herbie's just beyond Kardam and 1 just beyond Vasilivo, Terries.There is also at least 1 in Varna. I don't know how busy they are but thought the information might be useful as a decision making tool. All the best buttercup

flowers

Postby flowers » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:20 pm

buttercup wrote:hi there to my knowledge there are 3 boarding kennels in the surrounding area. 1 in Sokolovo, 1 called Herbie's just beyond Kardam and 1 just beyond Vasilivo, Terries.There is also at least 1 in Varna. I don't know how busy they are but thought the information might be useful as a decision making tool. All the best buttercup
thankyou the information you are giving is great,varna is one hours drive from dobrich,but vasalivo is close to dobrich, so may be competition there,this is just a tester we wouldn't do anyhing unless we knew there was a market.thankyu for all your help

Herbie_frog

Postby Herbie_frog » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:23 am

Hi Flowers, Me and my partner own Herbie's boarding kennels. We are situated in the Veliko Turnovo region. If you want to send me an email with any questions I would be happy to help you. Our email address is herbiesboardingkennels@mail.com.

Spiralbg
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Spiralbg » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:06 am

miltonmuskateers wrote:I can only say that you will be targeting the brits for business.the bulgarians just seem to get by with a neighbour, or just leave a loaf of bread with the dog and hope its enough food for the duration. are there many brits in a reasonable traveling distance from your area?I am no expert but i think you need to sum up all of these factors before spending any money.

Not entirely true, this is a village thing ;)

For those of you who have never met anyone besides the local baba in the village, Bulgarians also like to keep nice dogs, and they will also pay for a dog hotel.
There are a huge amount of dog hotels across BG, and not only for foreigners, most of the foreigners who have a hotel for dogs do not know how to market their business, so they use forums which in turn only attracts foreigners.
If you go to any BG run dog hotel, you will find out that many Bulgarians are using such a service.
Anyway, back on track, it is a good business idea, if your facilities will be clean and comfortable for your furry guests, you should be able to pull in plenty of business.
In Sofia the doggy hotels are charging on average 20 leva per dog per night.
I use a great place in Bankia for 10 leva per dog per night, which includes food and gas central heating - the price is lower in the summer obviously due to no heating bills.
Good luck with your venture - and try to target the BG market as well as ex-pats, there is plenty of money to be made ;)

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:08 am

Very small potential market, as another poster said. Bulgarians will make other arrangements. personally i would do the same and have a neighbour look after my animals when I am away.

Most Brits in BG are on a tight budget and will think twice about paying for kennels.

Negative ? Or realistic ?

Spiralbg
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Spiralbg » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:17 am

scot47 wrote:Very small potential market, as another poster said. Bulgarians will make other arrangements. personally i would do the same and have a neighbour look after my animals when I am away.

Most Brits in BG are on a tight budget and will think twice about paying for kennels.

Negative ? Or realistic ?

You do have a point scot, but a dog hotel is a service provided for people who travel, paupers do not travel, and at reasonable prices it is better to know that your pets are being looked after properly, rather than left alone...
But each to their own ;)
If you go to any of the good doggy hotels, you will see that they ALWAYS have guests.

B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:57 am

On the face of it, I would have assumed that, given the relatively small number of full-time foreign residents in any area of Bulgaria and the likelihood that, in any area, most of those will probably rely on other ex-pats and neighbours to look after their animals or, even, take them with them, the chances of making a reasonable income, as opposed to just pin money, with kennels is pretty unlikely. However, Spiralbg’s post does suggest that it needs a more rigorous analysis.

Not having given much consideration to it before, I would have tended to agree with scot47. However, although I wouldn’t go so far as to say that Spiralbg’s post is an eye-opener it does emphasise the fact that a) Bulgaria is as diverse as any other country and, in that regard, b) you need to be fully aware of your potential market before going ahead which, I guess, is really another way of saying make sure that you have done sufficient “market research” and don’t just rely on polling a forum like this, speak to the indigenous population as well.

Personally, for what it is worth, I think that closer to an airport and/or major transport hub might be a better location.

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:04 pm

Well I have dogs cats and various other livestock. I travel a lot. I work in one country and have family connections/houses in 2 others. I have never used kennels and I would not seriously think about it. I would sooner bung one of my neighbours 50 Leva or 50 quid and ask them to do it.

Maybe there is a market out there but....................
Last edited by scot47 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Business Link”