Pasties & Pies

A Forum aimed at individuals or companies who can give or need advice about doing business in Bulgaria and related information and news.

Moderator: Moderator

Is this a Good Idea

Poll ended at Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:42 pm

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes: 28

PiemanBG

Postby PiemanBG » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:30 pm

1abroad

No price list at the moment, just looking to see if this is a viable proposition.

Leedarkwood

The only other delivery method I could think of, is to have a courier company make the delivery to your home address, however I don’t know if there are any courier companies here would offer freezer services, I will look into it.

Do you have the contact details of the person who tried Ready meals? Did he actually start doing it? Cooked food if very different legally from prepared uncooked food.

I do take your points, thank you.

How many ex-pats live in BG any ideas?

Mat

Very well said Mat. Yes I have found a food production Company locally who will provide their premises and services. The food will not be cooked, cooked food is a completely different kettle of fish, as they say.

The reason the British Food suppliers don’t have very good pies; is that they purchase, ready made from large companies, and believe you me, unless you pay for top quality pies; you will only get poor quality.

What I mean is that the ex-pat food is imported and is very expensive, so if you actually imported good quality, the purchase cost would be higher and then the price you have to charge will be through the roof. If it already isn’t.

Factory made pies are pretty much rubbish, well in my humble opinion that is.

Small blast freezers start at around £3500 and everything seems more expensive here than in other countries, such as UK or Germany.

Who are the miserable bastard’s who are going to grass you up! Ex-pat Brit’s or Bulgarian’s?

Thanks for your thoughts please keep them coming.

kempa
Super User!
Super User!

Postby kempa » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:24 pm

no vegetarian pies... 8O
Kempa

PiemanBG

Postby PiemanBG » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:59 am

so far 84% say it is a good idea, although that only equates to 11 saying yes and 2 saying no.

13 people does not make a busienss i would think.
Last edited by PiemanBG on Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yankv8
Super User!
Super User!

pies/pasties

Postby yankv8 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:03 pm

Forget it,Bulgaria is not like the UK,nor is your customers,and to few and far away...shame sounds yummy.

theweeton
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby theweeton » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:45 pm

I would not give up so easily try for a franchise in a bg football ground once they get the taste you never know ...you may have to import the bovril

tedthered
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby tedthered » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:07 pm

kempa wrote:no vegetarian pies... 8O
Kempa

I always thought 'vegetarian', was a Red Indian word for lousy hunter

Sorry couldn't resist that

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Ted the Red

houseman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby houseman » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:25 pm

Having considered this opportunity I have to say I wouldn't back this venture with my own money, so I wouldn't recommend putting much or any of yours into it, piemanbg.
I think some of the people who have replied so far are ignoring (or at least underestimating) the many, many pitfalls of starting up a small business and then growing it enough to make a decent living for the 70 or 80 hours a week you will have to put in. Especially pioneering in a foreign country where you will have to learn almost everything except the art of pie making, from scratch.
I think your enthusiasm and talent might be better directed elsewhere.
Just an opinion, but based on SME experience in the UK.
](*,)

Oscar
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Oscar » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:42 pm

If anybody wants a pie,you can get Peters pies in the frozen section from Picadilly supermarket for about 4 leva.You can get Fray Bentos cook in the tin ones from Sokoni in Varna for about 5....happy eating,anyone know where to get mushy peas?

Candyfrank

Postby Candyfrank » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:14 pm

If any business was easy then everybody would be doing it. Don’t worry about the MYBG pessimists but take heed of some of the good advice given so far. “Nothing venture – Nothing gained”.

Maybe you can compete next year against the Dobrich Pie its length was about 200 meters, and for its preparation it used 1800 eggs, 350 kg . Flour, 150 kg. Cheese, salt, margarine and oil. As seen here http://www.dobrichonline.com/?com=news&cid=1236 :D :D :D Good luck :!:

houseman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby houseman » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:53 pm

Candyfrank wrote:If any business was easy then everybody would be doing it. Don’t worry about the MYBG pessimists but take heed of some of the good advice given so far. “Nothing venture – Nothing gained”.

So you'd be happy to back this financially with your own money, eh? :wink:

Return to “Business Link”