How many clothes do you wear indoors?

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
neilmay
Super User!
Super User!

How many clothes do you wear indoors?

Postby neilmay » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:24 pm

We live in a house at least 22 degrees. Our wood burner works well and keeps in if we go out and at night. Our House is has some insulation.
We wear our normal clothes and no jumpers.
I have worked at 15 degrees in a teeshirt. 2 jumpers warm trousers, a good winter coat, hat and fingerless gloves indoors.
I have seen lots of posts were peoples houses are not warm.
So the question is how many clothes are normal for you indoors?

:smt074

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
banjo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby banjo » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:33 pm

I am sorry but the question is a bit of nonsense, if you are cold wear clothes that keep you warm.

If you are hot walk round naked who cares. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
suds

Postby suds » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:17 pm

Replying to this post will enable me to become a super-user; in about 50 more years..
Outdoors, even in a blizzard, is always warmer than inside my VT flat, so indoors I wear as much clothing as I can button up, and stay in bed under a pile of quilts.. Electric bills are still too high, though..

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:16 am

Neilmay had his/her post deleted from the Winter Wood Supplies thread so posted it here.

In the previously mentioned thread we were discussing the ratio of wood used to heat your house in relation to the inside temperature you feel most comfortable. Obviously, if you can afford to burn wood like matchsticks and your home inside temperature is 25 deg C then, you'd probably walk about in your underwear.

However, if like myself, you don't light your fire unless really cold then the temperature can be as low as 15 deg C in my house. Those of us that are 'pre-central heating' era from the UK and remember coming down stairs to a cold kitchen and living room before the coal fire was lit, will remember how it felt.

Therefore, the question is not so daft as it might look on first viewing. During the winter months indoors, I nearly always wear a thermal long sleeved T shirt with a light scarf and a good sweater and bobble hat (minus bobble). I would usually wear trousers or sports trousers (the latter have a lining) and thick socks. I don't wear slippers, just flip flops and cannot stand cold feet. If I'm watching downloads on the computer then, I'd probably get under a blanket to.

However, when the Petchka is lit, I would usually have to remove my sweater, scarf and hat when the temperature reaches circa the 20 deg C mark.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:36 am

We live in a small space in the winter, 35 sq meters, we burn 3 or 4 cubic a winter. Jogging bottoms, tshirt and a fleece during the day and without the fleece in the evenings. We have one quilt on the bed, and often have a small window open. We wear tshirts in bed. Villagers walk in to ask us something and rock back on their heels saying 'how warm your house is!'. it is 20 C when I get up in the morning with the fire out, and up to 25 C in the evening, which is way to hot really. There is a lot to be said for strawbale! :D

My next house will have a masonery stove which should make it even more efficient.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:50 am

We're really lucky, as the insulation in our apartment works amazingly well. Despite being on the slopes of Vitosha, it's always warm enough in the morning to trot about barefoot and with a dressing-gown, even though there's been no heating on all night. A quick blast of the air-con during the day and/or in the evening soon warms the place up enough for flip-flops or socks to be comfortably worn.

Still costs 100 leva or so per month all told for the electricity bill though :(

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:30 am

Crickey its a slow news day

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:43 am

Mat wrote:Crickey its a slow news day

You're obviously not an Archers fan! An exciting day is when muck-spreading is delayed until tomorrow.... :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
theweeton
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby theweeton » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:55 am

I remember someone in a past life telling me "any fool can be uncomfortable" as I spent a miserable night on top of the brecon beacons with only 10 embassy and a poncho. I do not conceder what I spend on winter fuel a waste rather learning from past mistakes

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Spiralbg
Super User!
Super User!

Re: How many clothes do you wear indoors?

Postby Spiralbg » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:49 am

Last edited by Spiralbg on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”