Italy - Greece route

For advice, tips and information on new travel routes/prices to Bulgaria or needing internal travel advice? This is the right Forum!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
devondumpling

Postby devondumpling » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:17 am

We've driven to England and back 3 times, the most enjoyable journey was via Greece and Italy and there are some fascinating overnight stops. The first time, we we used toll roads, but after that went through the villages. It took just as long, but was more interesting. We took the ferry to Poole, instead of Dover - coming from Devon, it made more sense. Never found one from Plymouth which fitted timings etc.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
jinx57
<b>Property Finder</b>

Postby jinx57 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:25 am

devondumpling wrote:We've driven to England and back 3 times, the most enjoyable journey was via Greece and Italy and there are some fascinating overnight stops. The first time, we we used toll roads, but after that went through the villages. It took just as long, but was more interesting. We took the ferry to Poole, instead of Dover - coming from Devon, it made more sense. Never found one from Plymouth which fitted timings etc.

seconded! and if you are in a hurry, Calais to Venice is 17 driving hours

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
toaster

Postby toaster » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:08 pm

hi we are going to drive to bg april and are planing italy to greece route any info on costs at each border and and good hotels on route many thanks

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Mackay

Postby Mackay » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:22 am

Morning

We are moving to Bulgaria finally in June :lol: and we are looking at the Italy route Italy to Igunomitsa for a change instead of the serbia route can anyone give us any information please :lol:

Thanks in advance

Mackay

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
dazza65

Italy Route

Postby dazza65 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:10 pm

Hi I did it last year found it a lot better than the usual route book early to get the cheap italian ferry i also found it cheaper

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Liliputian

Re: Italy - Greece route

Postby Liliputian » Fri May 19, 2017 11:59 am

Hi, am reviving this thread to see if there's any updated information/experience on this route.

We plan to drive over in late December / early January - was thinking that because it is winter, the route through France-Italy-Greece might be easier than through central Europe (which we've done once before, but in summer), but may be wrong. It sounds from reading back through the thread that the mountains between Igoumenitsa aren't an easy drive - does anyone have any advice? (bearing in mind it will be early January and in an old - 17 years, though very reliable - Toyota Corolla, with no trailer or pets.

Like some others have said, the ferry sounds an attractive option to break up the driving (only me driving) - am also considering the Hull-Zeebrugge overnight ferry to avoid the drive from north to south in UK. Time isn't such a big issue, so would prefer easier rather than quick routes. Thanks...

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
tanny

Postby tanny » Mon May 22, 2017 8:44 pm

We used this route last May and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We found tolls in France to be expensive, but the drive through the Alps into Italy was stunning. Not sure what it will be like in winter though. We have relatives in Italy so we stayed a few nights in Pisa, before heading over to Brindisi for the ferry to Greece. We never found the drive from Igoumenitsa to be difficult, though again doing it in January may be a different ball game. There was certainly lots of snow in Bulgaria in January, but don't know if that was the case in other countries on this route. If we had to, we would use this route again. Good luck.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Liliputian

Postby Liliputian » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:14 am

Thanks tanny, much appreciated.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
truckyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby truckyboy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:41 pm

I used this route, with a motorhome..its still in my mind today as one of the best routes i have travelled..on the ship was parking for motorhomes, with an electric plug in too, so we actually lived in in for the 18 hours the ferry took..it had swimming pools, entertainment, different eateries etc..it was in the summer, and the mountains from Igoumenitsa were fabulous..in fact once we reached the bottom towards athens, we turned to the right, where we managed to park on the beach..and found by chance a bulgarian lady who owned with her greek husband a restaurant..was a fabulous drive..very scenic, and relaxing too...

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:44 am

Did this route a few times years ago, the arrival or departure from Venice is fantastic.I was a bit envious of the camping on board people,if you do have to wait for a ferry theres a brilliant resort about half an hour from Igoumenitsa..Parga, lovely place.The ferries were really cheap,I dont know what they are now.

Return to “Getting to & travelling in Bulgaria”