plant nursery idea?

A Forum aimed at individuals or companies who can give or need advice about doing business in Bulgaria and related information and news.

Moderator: Moderator

sandra2dogs

garden centre

Postby sandra2dogs » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:21 pm

well if you were nearer we would come to your garden centre, but if you do online we would order if it was cheaper than 4lev each, let us know about your brochure ok, good luck if u go ahead with it, sandra

varnajohn
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

garden centre

Postby varnajohn » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:40 pm

PERENNIAL :roll: FORGOT U PEOPLE ARE SO PERFECT

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Re: garden centre

Postby Seedy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:45 pm

varnajohn wrote:PERENNIAL :roll: FORGOT U PEOPLE ARE SO PERFECT

Nah - just say what we mean and mean what we say.... :wink:

MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Re: plant nursery idea?

Postby MOD » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:03 am

A reminder of what is being discussed here.

spantrout wrote:Hiya,

I'm considering the idea of opening a plant nursery. Any thoughts welcome.

Some posts have been deleted from this thread

Mod 8)

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

What plants would you buy?

Postby spantrout » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:14 am

as a follow up to my original post,

what plants would you buy?

Cesmeresident

Plants

Postby Cesmeresident » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:42 am

I had a fairly good garden in the UK but obviously had to relearn so much for the different Turkish climate and I am back on the gardening learning curve here. As an expert you are far better as to what will grow than many of us but I would be very interested in horseradish and rhubarb crowns. We went across to Turkey and got primroses for 1 lira and hyacinthes for 2 and the Bulgarians we were with were snapping them up. Even if you double the price that was cheaper than this area. I got a great indoor fern for 10 lira and in Mr Bricolage there was an incredibly smalll one nearly dead
for 12 lev so now it is hung up that is on the Bulgarians list for our next foray. Loads of people here seem to have indoor plants and yet they are so expensive in the shops so maybe they buy them really small and wait x amount of years for them to grow. Most of Turkeys indoor plants used to come from Holland and even with their huge import duties were much cheaper than here so I think its worth looking into as could be they are putting a huge mark up on them. Seeds are really cheap here and I was so pleased I managed to get cress, chives and mange tout for 1 lev a packet as never found any of them in Turkey so used to bring them back with me. If you could supply unusual seeds for Bulgaria like say chinese laterns I think they could do well. I am hoping to find a datura when I go again and that time will we drive around to find a garden centre rather than the market so I will take pen and paper for the availability and price as perhaps getting it from Turkey could be cheaper for you although you would have lots of formalities to start with.

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:08 pm

Cesmeresident wrote
If you could supply unusual seeds for Bulgaria like say chinese laterns

By chinese lanterns do you mean Physallis? Little cherry tomato sized yellow/orange fruit wrapped in a papery shell.

B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:55 pm

Cesmeresident said…
I am hoping to find a datura when I go again

Datura covers a lot (all are usually referred to as thornapple)...

Datura stramonium, one of those that I am familiar with, is known in Bulgaria as Татул and is quite common here, especially in areas around abandoned properties and sites. Anything that has “weed” in several of its common names is probably not something that I would plant, despite the fact that I do like the look of them. However, more importantly, I would be a bit concerned about the levels of its hallucinogenic properties.

Wikipedia says…
All parts of Datura plants contain dangerous levels of poison and may be fatal if ingested by humans or other animals, including livestock and pets. In some places it is prohibited to buy, sell or cultivate Datura plants.

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:08 pm

B52 wrote
However, more importantly, I would be a bit concerned about the levels of its hallucinogenic properties.

Don't eat them and you'll be just fine.

Cesmeresident

nursery plants

Postby Cesmeresident » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:34 pm

Spantrout you know all the right names and yes they grew wonderfully in the hot Turkish summer so should do allright here. The Turks are not up on the names of plants or trees and a English visitor told me my tree was a member of the datura family and poisonous if eaten. Mine was a tree that grew incredibly quickly and had the most amazing bell shaped flowers that smelled like heaven at night. I used to buy longine lillies cheap at the market late on a saturday and so having this tree throwing its perfume around was heavenly and a lot cheaper. I think the cold winters here could kill it off but at 6 lira I can manage one every year.
There was lots of stuff that I felt the Turkish climate would have been good for but the locals just grow what they have always grown and were not open to change but as they got more affluent then garden centres sprang up everywhere. When I first grew mange tout they asked me if I was getting a cow.
I could kill for a ladies garden fork as the neighbours have loaned me something they have made and I can hardly lift it so you could add tools to your stock.

Return to “Business Link”