Crossing EU/Non EU Borders, Driving Someone Else's VEHICLE

For advice, tips and information on new travel routes/prices to Bulgaria or needing internal travel advice? This is the right Forum!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Crossing EU/Non EU Borders, Driving Someone Else's VEHICLE

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:23 pm

I bet there is a topic, but I simply can't find it and have given up after 10 pages of advanced search. If there is one, MOD please inform and I'll move this.

Question. If you have a Bulgarian Registered Vehicle that belongs to another person who is NOT in country and is probably never going to return, YET, you have all of the vehicle documents, the vehicle is roadworthy, taxed and green card insured, but you have NO POWER OF ATTORNEY from the other person (registered owner) to use it....... CAN YOU CROSS EU BORDERS (in and out of Bulgaria) in this vehicle if showing all of the documentation if requested or, are they going to suggest it might be stolen and impound it?

Is there an EU Regulation somewhere that describes what you can and cannot do?

Please, no guessing games, just hard fact.

Many thanks.
Last edited by Moscow_Wolf on Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Ok MW in BG if you have a car and it is insured, then anyone can drive it if they have the appropriate documents (because it is the car that is insured rather than the driver), If it has a green card then the same can be said of that.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:07 pm

spantrout wrote:Ok MW in BG if you have a car and it is insured, then anyone can drive it if they have the appropriate documents (because it is the car that is insured rather than the driver), If it has a green card then the same can be said of that.

Yes, perhaps not 100% legal to drive someone else's vehicle without a POA, but if you hold the documents then, KAT seem happy to let you proceed.

However, if taking a HIRE car through borders then, you need some proper paperwork. What I am trying to find out is, if I arrive at say the Greek or Serbian Border with a vehicle packed with holiday suitcases and I'm unlucky to be singled out for a thorough check, what will the Border Guards/Customs do when I produce the documents in another 'foreigner's' name and NO Power of Attorney authorising me to use the vehicle.

Will they wave me through the border or, will they turn me back or, worse still impound the vehicle thinking that I am trying to steal it?

I have no problem with driving around Bulgaria in this situation, but I was thinking of taking the vehicle into other EU countries and of course, bringing it back at the end of the holiday.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
haddockman

Postby haddockman » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:18 pm

Generally you need a letter of authorisation to take someone else's vehicle out of the country.

As for what the authorities in Greece or Serbia would do is anyone's guess.

There is a section on the green card for an authorised user to sign. Now would that placate any border officials?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:29 pm

Depends whether 'Notarized' letter of authority or just a letter and in how many languages!

How do these 'Bulgarian drivers' get on that ferry folks goods backwards and forwards from the UK to BG to UK etc. Surely, they're not the vehicle owners themselves, how do they do it?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
haddockman

Postby haddockman » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:36 pm

Well to be honest I have never been asked anywhere during my trips to and from BG about who owned the vehicle. Certainly ferry operators have no interest in the ownership of what vehicles they convey on their vessels.

I would assume a notarised letter in Bulgarian and English would suffice.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:37 pm

MW are you driving a HIRE car or a STOLEN car? If you are driving a hire car they would provide documentation.

If you have stolen they obviously would not.

If you are driving a friends car then there should be no problem if you have tax, insurance, driving licence, green card.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:46 pm

spantrout wrote:MW are you driving a HIRE car or a STOLEN car? If you are driving a hire car they would provide documentation.

If you have stolen they obviously would not.

If you are driving a friends car then there should be no problem if you have tax, insurance, driving licence, green card.

The ONE in bold which belongs and is registered to another Brit that is unlikely to come back to Bulgaria and has no real motivation to help me with a POA from the UK.

I have already spent over 3500 Lev getting this vehicle roadworthy and now, it needs another 2000 Lev minimum in parts to get it going again. (it has been off the road for nearly one year). However, my predicament is, should I spend the money to get the damned thing back on the road and USE it including a holiday to say Greece or Montenegro, but having a Russian Wife, automatically draws more attention at borders. So, after spending this money, (if I do), I plan my holiday, pack the VAN drive off to the Greek border and get f****d for not having a POA.

I have no doubt, that I'd probably 'bluff' my way through or, simply sail through, but was just wanting to know what the LAW or REGULATIONS say about such. I guess if you buy a car from someone in the UK and haven't sent the slip back to DVLA then, you're still not the legal owner 'officially', but can drive it here and re-register it onto BG plates so, perhaps, I'm making a mountain out of a molehill.

I just prefer to be safer than sorry if the information is out there somewhere.

Cheers.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:10 pm

It's a fact MW, the car is insured here not the driver. So if you have the need to purchase a green card there is no POA required as it is the car that's insured.

If in doubt contact any insurance company here and they will tell you the same, if the car is insured to drive thru europe, and you have the docs. then there is no probs.

If it's on UK plates then that may be something different. (which I don't think you mentioned in your original post)

Just read it back to myself, you said it was a BG registered car, therefore no probs if you have all the docs, if in doubt, as i said, ask any insurnace company, I don't think you will have a prob.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
haddockman

Postby haddockman » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:22 pm

I would be asking those gentlemen that carry those red lolipops.

Return to “Getting to & travelling in Bulgaria”