New for 2012, Hi

If you are new to the My Bulgaria forums and want a softer introduction other than diving straight in, just say 'hi' here. Tell us a little about yourself or your interest in Bulgaria maybe? We were all 'new' once!

Moderator: Moderator

Takiniteasy1

New for 2012, Hi

Postby Takiniteasy1 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:01 am

Hello from Mo. I've just joined the forum although i've been reading posts for the last 3 years! I sold my smallholding in Wales and had been thinking of buying some land in Spain but having been there a few times I kept comparing it to what I knew about Bulgaria; mainly from reading posts on this site. Well, I'm coming over soon to have a real look at Bulgaria. I seem to be drawn to the Burgass/Yambol area . I hope to make contact with other forum members. Meanwhile I have bought a language course, but i'm struggling. I'm really impressed with the good spirit and helpfulness of forum members towards each other and will endeavour to be just as helpful soon.
Happy new year to all.
Mo

oldtimer
<b>Prop Management/Transport/Sales</b>

Postby oldtimer » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:16 am

Welcome to the site, we are on the north side of Burgas and have been here now for over 15 years, if you have any questions just ask as I am sure someone on the forum will be able to give you an answer

carriemc
<b>Rental Agent</b>

Postby carriemc » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:20 am

Hi Mo
My place is in the Yambol area so if you need any info on the area just ask.
A friend of mine is Welsh and spends winters in Spain & the rest of the year in Bulgaria.
An interesting year ahead for you!
Caroline

Pixi

Postby Pixi » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:50 am

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

dje

Postby dje » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:52 am

Hi and welcome to the forum - we are on the Yambol / Burgas border, have been here for over 4 years now.

Happy to answer any questions you have about the area.

All the best with your plans :)

DANNIA
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby DANNIA » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:10 am

Hiya Mo
Nice to see you taking part in the forum.
I live here in Yambol, and have for the past 5 years (just renewed the residency so have another 10 if I want it lol)

Don't worry too much about the language too much, it is very hard, and the Bulgarians will appreciate any effort you make.
You will find it is easier to learn when you have time to immerse yourself in day to day conversations though as the courses don't really seem to teach you the 'real' Bulgarian as they all have dialects the same as we do in the UK.
I found I could be understood in Bourgas for instance, but not in the village when I first learned.
I found I understand more when I've had a couple of vinos lol.

Wishing you all the best with the next adventure :)
Nikki

RICO
Super User!
Super User!

new for 2012 hi

Postby RICO » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:47 pm

hello mo,good luck with your exploring and speaking as someone who is trying to learn from a language course book ,i know what you mean,but keep at it and as dannia says you will really find knowing just a little (like me) is very worthwhile and appreciated. all the best. rico

emcee
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby emcee » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:39 pm

DANNIA wrote:I found I could be understood in Bourgas for instance, but not in the village when I first learned.

That's probably because they've got used to the idea that you can't speak the language.
I've found that many Bulgarians when they see a foreigner automatically assume they can't speak the language. My son (who is bilingual) was accompanying an English friend to hospital after an accident in Sozopol a couple of years ago was explaining stuff in Bulgarian to the ambulance crew all the way to hospital. Only when they reached the hospital did the paramedic turn round and say "Ama vie govorite na bulgarski!"(But you can speak Bulgarian).

I've also sometimes been met with bewildered looks when speaking to Bulgarians, but sometimes the drink may have had something to do with it...

banshee
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby banshee » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:10 pm

Hi Mo and welcome to the forum

Banshee :D

Takiniteasy1

Postby Takiniteasy1 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:53 pm

Hi folks,
A big thank you to all who have welcomed me. I'm so looking forward to coming to Bulgaria. Looks like their are some very talented people to meet as well as seeing a beautiful country.
Mo

Return to “NEWBIES - Say 'Hi' here!”