THE NORTHERN BLACK COAST ALLIANCE

Tell others here about the town, area or village you have bought or actually live in...positives AND negatives!

Moderator: Moderator

fred
Super User!
Super User!

Postby fred » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:33 pm

Hi Oldtimer

One time on a visit to Veliko turnovo a friend remarked that the place is beautiful by any standard, not just the Bulgarian standard. We all know what he meant, still love the place though.

There have been a lot of very good developments in the 11 years I have been going to Shabby, new water mains, more street lighting every year, new paving and this last year a massive revamp of the town square. In addition to this there are many houses that seem to be getting renovated.

Cheers Fred

troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:34 pm

Like Old timer and Oscar I would like to see just a few minor improvements which I think have or are being done but not a transformation into Western Europe, BG attracted me for its edge and lack of out of town retail parks and standardised high streets.....specsavers, bon marche, Boots..you get the picture

BG has its own Chic and should retain it.

Fred if you go to Arbanasi above VT on a cold snowy day and look across VT to the Stara Planina it is breathtaking or take a coffee overlooking the palace in the Gorge...stunning

fred
Super User!
Super User!

Postby fred » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:22 pm

I never go anywhere on a cold snowy day. Been up to Arbanasi a few time though, sunny days mostly.

I agree also, the thing I like about Bulgaria is that it's proper abroad in a way that most of the rest of Europe isn't.

Cheers Fred.

Hoowster
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Hoowster » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:39 pm

Shabby Shabla is definitely taking an up turn ...Apart from the changes Fred touched upon there is a huge renovation 0f thousands of decares started where the old football ground was...My spies ( I live in Varna now ) say that will be a huge sports area with tennis courts & the like as well as a new football stadium...What is nice is that the renovations reach into town and not just the centre is singled out...The Park was renovated recently & new pavements are a great idea along with new street signs which are everywhere...Loads of the old communistic bungalows on the beach have been levelled...For what I dont know; but someone is moving Shabla into a green resort at the moment which seems good so far. Bravo I say and I hope the changes continue.
A much smaller St Constantine & Elena (classy & mostly devoid of High rise hotels) would be a nice compromise?

8)

bullador
Super User!
Super User!

shabla

Postby bullador » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:39 am

Hi I went to Shabla a couple of weeks ago and I was amazed as it has been transformed. its a beautiful place.......it has a lovely square with a nice church in, banks, shops, butchers, bakers, cafe's and its a pleasure to walk around.....It has a cultural centre and lots of beautiful flower beds.

houseman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby houseman » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:15 pm

Welcome back to the forum bullador! :D
Good news about Shabla then, must try and visit soon. Have to wonder what has driven the improvements...

fred
Super User!
Super User!

Postby fred » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:18 pm

Hi all

Shabby Shabla has just got a little bit less shabby is all, always been a great little town but now it's starting to look a bit tidy as well.

Most of the infrastructure and cosmetic improvements have, of course, been driven by EU money.
We bought our place there in 2005 and have visited twice a year ever since, on each return visit there have been little improvements. The water mains have all been renewed, new paving, all the municipal buildings have had a coat of paint, mains sewage extended and street lighting all over town.

The most encouraging thing about the town is the steady rise in visitor numbers and the growth in accomadation available to rent. When we first went there was the local hotel and a few people offering rooms to rent, now there is much more.

Cheers Fred.

poulton
Super User!
Super User!

Re: THE NORTHERN BLACK COAST ALLIANCE

Postby poulton » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:32 am

Got to say I'm well impressed with the job that has been done on Varna seafront.

Those old shabby, dreary, communisque style, beach front walls have been transformed from an ugly duckling to a swan.
Same goes for the bars and restaurants.

Long overdue, but every credit.

banjo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby banjo » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:37 pm

At last some progress has been made in Varna it seems to be moving very fast I have never seen so many building sites in all the 14 years of coming here. St Constantine & Elana is also going through a building boom a new hotel was opened yesterday and looks fantastic.there is also a big plot of land reserved for a new supermarket. A few of the old restaurants have been demolished also old market stalls have gone it looks like they are rebuilding the whole resort. But its about time the infrastructure is still shocking but i suppose that will be done when building work is finished also a new aqua house has opened been to see it and its very upmarket. I went into golden sands they are also building big upmarket hotels. Perhaps at last modernisation is on us happy days.

glenda

Postby glenda » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:22 pm

Shabla.

Living in Shabla is an absolute joy.

Return to “My Place!”