bulgarian faster growing sector: Scam Economy

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

MIK_bg
Super User!
Super User!

bulgarian faster growing sector: Scam Economy

Postby MIK_bg » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:42 pm

I want to bring your attention about some serious issue probably some of you already know. It's actually the reason that got me to open that previous thread. I knew about these scams, what I didn't know was how bad is and how the government actually legitimate the criminals activities.

It's not the phone calls "the police need your help to catch scammers, take your gold and money to the nearest garbage bin" that is targeted with great success to ederly women in the villages.

This is purposedly targetted to non residents with properties as they fail to be notified for legal actions against their properties

Since 2008 the government passed a law making private agents bailiff equivalent to legal officiers. That said there have been an excalation of properties sized to 150.000 till 2016. Now these bailiffs have been used by banks and credit suppliers to recollect the lost money till the thing got out of control and companies or anyone started to get execution orders to collect whatever they liked, yes because the bailiff supply documents they fill theirself and the court do not check neither for authenticity or to be correct in any form.

Thanks to this a huge scam market rised where criminals /companies target individuals who are not year around resident so they cannot fill opposition in court as they do not get notified. *you need an active and deposited bulgarian number plus someone checking often correspondence and your door for notifications*
Notice these scams are not direct only to foreign expats but also many bulgarians working abroad.

SO..the criminals go around looking for interesting properties from non residents, taking informations from insiders from banks, utilities companied etc and make up not existing debts trough your utilities or worst as claiming someone got a loan (with fake signatures) or own money for a service or product.

People get their house sold for debts about less than 1000 levs.

Most lawyers are unable to effectively oppose these scams as the law itself gives full authority to these criminals and take no responsibility to check anything.

There have been complaning and talking on the press and tv but the government never ever fixed the problem to these days.

There are at least two people I'm in contact who are now in such madness and all originated from the electricity company.

banjo
Super User!
Super User!

Re: bulgarian faster growing sector: Scam Economy

Postby banjo » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:54 pm

This has happened in part also in the UK when scammers get information from paperwork that is thrown into the rubbish bin some people have thrown bank statements, council tax bills, utility bills away without destroying them,scammers then use your identity to get loans and all sorts without your knowledge and it has happened. I have to ask though with a lot of overseas property owners in Bulgaria who have not paid the local taxes how does the local municipality get the money that is owed to them.

MIK_bg
Super User!
Super User!

Re: bulgarian faster growing sector: Scam Economy

Postby MIK_bg » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:32 am

well that's an interesting question because it seems not to be the municipality not able to collect local taxes, to be the primary user of the baliif system. In fact it seems to be as expected mostly banks/credit suppliers, wich debt could be real or forged,but anyway usually large enough to claim to size a property. But just after that, the compulsive use of that system to be utilities companies to get even small ammount of money out of non residents. The real debt may be 100 lev then inflated trough fictional expenses up to thousands levs.
Considering that utilities companies expecially in Bulgaria are big enough to do whatever they please, and that outside cities they are losing money by giving a service and they wont get any better by targetting old bulgarian pensioners in villages, they seem to have decide to use non residents as slot machines to replenish their finances. Non residents are mostly like to not using the services and hence not producing reveniews but having the money to pay.
I know people in Smolyan region receiving bills for hundred levs month with the main switch off and not able to get any response in what is happening apart from "pay b*tch!!"

Also if you have a smart meter you are open to a simple fraud electric companies use: before smart meters, the consumption was calculated from the meter inwards, now it's calculated from the smart meter outwards. So if any electricity it's disperded due to fallancies of the network (and hello, you are in the country runnng a spaghetti mess of cables from house to poles like in India) you gonna pay for that. That said companies do use overvoltage to register more consumption on clients side.
In some villages in Greece I‘ve personally witnessed that in certain hours the lines were on overvoltage producing a characteristic humming sound, main switch off, the meter was running like you had all your appliences running full force.

so you see, you dont even need your neighbour to steal your electricity.

Return to “General Discussion”