Changing driving licences

Confused? Hopefully less so after you have read this lot!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
schwartzy

Changing driving licences

Postby schwartzy » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:47 pm

Hi, we have just got our five year residency cards. From doing some research it seems that we now have a year to change our British driving licences to Bulgarian ones. Has anyone done this recently and if so how easy was it? The bit about getting evidence that you completed your schooling seems a bit of a faff! (we both left school 40 years ago). Any information would be useful. Thanks.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
truckyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Re: Changing driving licences

Postby truckyboy » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:28 pm

been there and done it, am now on a permanent residency, never thought about changing my driving licence though, still use my GB one, but search online and i am sure you will find the answer as to where and how you can do it.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
oldtimer
<b>Prop Management/Transport/Sales</b>

Postby oldtimer » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:34 pm

You will need to go to your KAT office, you will need to have a medical and the doctor give you a form that you have to hand in with your completed form to KAT, you will need copies of your driving licence, your residency card and your passport. You will be given a date to come back for your licence, when you collect your licence you will then have to hand over your UK one. Simple

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
schwartzy

Postby schwartzy » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:20 pm

I've been reading up on it on a few forums and as we are now non EU it seems that we have to change our licences for BG ones before the end of this year or take a new driving test (in Bulgarian of course). The evidence of completing school is a thing specifically for non EU nationals (thanks Brexshit...). I need to investigate further as I left school 40 years ago! From what I've been reading, the KAT offices in some places seem to accept GCSE/O level certificates, but others want an officially translated bit of paper from your old school to confirm that you attended. I'll update if i find out more.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
schwartzy

Postby schwartzy » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:08 pm

oldtimer wrote:You will need to go to your KAT office, you will need to have a medical and the doctor give you a form that you have to hand in with your completed form to KAT, you will need copies of your driving licence, your residency card and your passport. You will be given a date to come back for your licence, when you collect your licence you will then have to hand over your UK one. Simple

This is the procedure for EU citizens, which we sadly aren't now!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MIK_bg
Super User!
Super User!

Postby MIK_bg » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:24 am

Place you go, different rules. As you may have experienced before even with strict government burocracy, every region or municipality often tailor their requirements on whatever fits them better and there is not much to argue. Beside a certificate for attending a second grade education was eliminated for EU citizens back in the days (10+ years ago) you can still find them in the requirements list on information boards in local KAT. Especially in my region with lot of Turkish population acquiring documents...all foreigners are treated as non EU in many cases. Go figure.

So while is important to get your info from other expats...only your local office can answer correctly.

Return to “Visas, Residency & Registration”