Using the Serbia Route - Recent Observations

For advice, tips and information on new travel routes/prices to Bulgaria or needing internal travel advice? This is the right Forum!

Moderator: Moderator

truckyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Re: Using the Serbia Route - Recent Observations

Postby truckyboy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:41 pm

I never bother with serbia, to go that route is very close to Romania..there is a lovely motorway down to Lugoj, which was recommended to me by Troyan, i took his advice and found it almost empty but a pleasant drive..and the new bridge too compared to the old calafat ferry..happy days.

troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:59 pm

thanks Trucky its just about the best hassle free route .......another thing I got caught out on in Serbia is the mobile data charges, Serbia are not in the cheap roaming area.

truckyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby truckyboy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:32 pm

No they are not Troyan..but so glad i took your advice..its a great route..didnt use it this year as we flew..but next year..the same route..as we have family in Vidin, so it makes sense..regards.

troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:50 pm

If you are in no rush and want to see a bit of Hungary you can go off motorway the roads are pretty good, drop down through Austria through Graz then head across the A roads through Hungary just skirting lake Balaton and towards Szeged, loads of Lidls along the way

truckyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby truckyboy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:21 pm

yes i agree, we went that way when i had the motorhome, a great route plenty of scenery, and could stop where we wanted.

regfrancis

Postby regfrancis » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:53 am

After difficulty trying to but a used car in Bulgaria I decided to buy in Germany so flew streight to to Munich and scored a good deal :D

The six day drive from Munich to Burgas just completed!

Very flexible with the truck-- as plenty off room to stop and eat or sleep on board

Now arrived at an apartment and relaxing with my favorite Bulgarian SauvingnonBlanc, and Sam smith music from Youtube.

The truck went very well, maybe a little wide --the extended mirrors acted like cats whiskers - brushing overhanging branches on the roadside.

Still learning about the local road tax-- and had a brush with a very experienced tax collector leaving Romania ---who demanded a pay off ( 175 EUR)--because of my ignorance of the special (minimal) road tax in Romania, (and Bulgaria)-- that has to be purchased at service stations --on a daily, weekly or monthly interval.

I learned first hand that Serbia asks for the pay off to transit through-- UP FRONT!--not so sneaky. (250 EUR asked)

My next mission is three months traveling around Turkey. I guess there could be some monthly road tax again but otherwise Bulgarian registration and third party insurance should cover it? All accurate advice appreciated !

Any Turkish places known to have been unsafe for westerners?

Of course-- there is no free lunch--everything is paid for (in some way)

truckyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby truckyboy » Wed May 23, 2018 4:41 pm

go online and buy a visa..not sure if they still do them at the border.. and turkey is a nice place to visit, but have some crazy drivers, especially in or around istanbul..there is or was a camping site en route just past the airport called Londra Camping..we used to park our trucks there en route to the middle east..and at the back of the truck park is a camping site, hotel etc.

Zagorkaman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Zagorkaman » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:54 pm

Hi all

Doing road trip to BG in June but going with dog. I have pet passport but can I still go through Serbia as it is not in the EU. Does or has anyone any advice or done the transit through Serbia with dog.

Thanks in advance.

ChrisF
Super User!
Super User!

Postby ChrisF » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:04 am

ChrisF
Super User!
Super User!

Postby ChrisF » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:03 pm

Return to “Getting to & travelling in Bulgaria”