Bulgarian Solicitors (all areas)

Need advice from fellow purchasers or sellers? Ask the experts here and swap experiences.

Moderator: Moderator

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:42 pm

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Let's keep it a secret !

FENDER

Re: OFFPLAN,VAT,LAWYERS-BUYER BEWARE/SHARP PRACTICES

Postby FENDER » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:35 pm

FENDER, your post is a duplicate from 14th August which was moved to the dedicated thread for your subject matter at that time, which is here:

http://www.mybulgaria.info/modules.php? ... ht=#251480

If you have more (not duplicated) material to add please reply on the link supplied above.

Thanks. Mod 8)

survivor
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby survivor » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:29 pm

Choosing a lawyer could be a tricky issue. In general one cannot judge only on the price but it is some indicator. As always the word of mouth is the best source of recommendation, especially when it comes to lawyers.

Otherwise, as mentioned above apart from need.bg you should also check hg.org.

shazzy

Postby shazzy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:07 pm

we are using a firm called solicitorsbulgaria.com they are in sofia speak very good english and have a low cost number from the uk .the lady solicitor was recommended to us by another person buying in our complex she has had poa and has kept us imformed all the way through and even visited the site herself to check on progress her name is verzhinya dakova you can read her recoomendations on their web site ,four other buyers on our complex are using her.

Madhouse

lawyer recommendation?

Postby Madhouse » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:54 pm

Hi, we are new on the forum. we are looking for a lawyer in Sofia, to assist with a purchase of a house and to set a company. Can anyone recommend us a liable and not too expensive lawyer? we got a response from a "Perusanov, Noycheva & Partners" Law Office" but I cannot find anything about them online. We don't speak Bulgarian, I cannot find State Gazette in English online, neither lex.bg. Can anyone help?
Thanks a lot!

LUCI
Super User!
Super User!

Postby LUCI » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:02 pm

www.gsgeorgieva.co.uk - they have an office in Sofia and I think it is Todor Rachinski there who speaks fluent English

Rocky7
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Rocky7 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:49 pm

LUCI wrote:www.gsgeorgieva.co.uk - they have an office in Sofia and I think it is Todor Rachinski there who speaks fluent English
There is a thread on this forum dedicated to www.gsgeorgieva.co.uk and all the users who have posted there think they are great.

I have quickly read through this thread and have realised that a lot of users are missing the point. Why ask for a lawyer that can speak good english? There is no point. When deeling with lawyers and paperwork there is only one thing that matters and that is what is written. It is far more important that your lawyer has excellent written English.

Yes, it is nice to have a lovely conversation in English and you can tell your lawyer what your intentions are but what happens when they turn round and tell you to sign a document that is in Bulgarian. You will not have a clue what you are signing and all what has been said will become irrelevant as all that matters is what you are signing. As far as I'm concerned every word that is written has to be in perfect English otherwise it is meaningless and open to other interpretations.

For a Bulgarian to write perfect English it is extremely hard and even proffessional Bulgarian translators get it wrong. There was one called Oracle on this forum and when you read her posts you will see what I mean. If you can find a lawyer that has good written English and will only expect you to sign documents in English then in my opinion this is what to look for in a lawyer. If a lawyer tells you to sign something you cannot understand or read then they are basically having a laugh at your expense.

indesec
<b>Prop Management/Transport/Sales</b>

Postby indesec » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:36 pm

I`m wondering how you can only sign documents in English, In law, the countries language takes precedence.

I`m pretty sure if, lets say a German, buys an house in England, and refuses to sign documents that are in English, and will sign only documents that are in German, it couldn`t work.

What about the other people involved in the process that are Bulgarian, and only read Bulgarian?

Would you really expect Documents that are submitted to the commercial register in English be accepted, and as English are we arrogant enough to expect tax return forms to be in English just for our benefit.

Methinks you are missing some points here.

B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:02 pm

Methinks you are right indesec.

It was my impression that signing anything in front of a notary in BG (and, of course, the document would have to be in Bulgarian) required that you affirm that you understand what you are signing. If you don’t understand it, then you are obliged to hire an authorised (?) interpreter who will explain the document to you and attest that they have done so by (co-?)signing it.

However, I may be wrong.

Opinions are facts that others can't or won't subscribe to.

Rocky7
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Rocky7 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:26 pm

indesec wrote:I`m wondering how you can only sign documents in English, In law, the countries language takes precedence.
You can sign documents in English and have them translated into Bulgarian. When a contract has the bulgarian version on the left of the page and the english version on the right and both versions are signed then of course the Bulgarian version is going to take precident. Just don't do it. There is extra cost in getting translators involved but at least you have signed what you can read.

If there are documents that need to be signed at the notary that are in Bulgarian then I would give a POA in English to a lawyer to sign these documents on my behalf.

If you can't trust a Lawyer to sign documents at the notary on your behalf then why trust a translator to explain to you what is written in Bulgarian. I know which is the worst option.

The point I'm making is, don't sign anything that you can't read. It's how many people have been ripped off and I completely disagree with people encouraging other people to sign things they cannot read.

So, would I expect someone to sign something that they could not read. Of course not. What about if I explained incorrectly or there was a misunderstanding. I would not want to take responsibilty for this and the problem in BG is, people don't have to take responsibilty.

Return to “Property Buying/Selling Advice”