still here and looking for work

Anyone already in Bulgaria who is ready, willing and able to help those coming over? Job vacancies? Employment advice and information? Post it here!

Moderator: Moderator

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:21 pm

Bulgaria can be fine if you are a pensioner or have a private income. It is not the best place to come and work.

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:14 am

I came across this thread and wondered what thoughts posters have on employment in BG. My introduction to BG in 1991 was because I was offered a teaching job through the British Council. Alas, the GB-BG Cultural Programme was scrapped in the mid-90s and this avenue is no longer open to teachers.

After those two years I worked in a Bulgarian University but the lure of higher salaries in the Middle East was too tempting.

I still have links with BG and I hope to get back for a visit in 2016.

Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:33 pm

There are a fair number of posts that have been relocated here through call centres and other back office jobs which is something of a boom industry at the moment. I've met Swedish, Spanish and Italians who are here working on the same salaries as they were earning at home. Middle management is a struggle even for those with good Bulgarian as most of these jobs are now national only. There seems to be plenty of more senior management jobs around as the pay differentials between good Bulgarians and good foreigners is really not that much any more. You need to have up to date skills in something techy. Plenty of language jobs around even if you have zero experience if you are a native speaker. You won't make a lot of money but you will get to hang out with a whole bunch of impressionable young women, which brings its own rewards...

FlagHostel

still here looking for work

Postby FlagHostel » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:47 pm

yes mat is right.

in varna many foreign people work for Tax Back, most of their staff do not speak any bulgarian and they earn a decent wage.

teaching english as a native speaker - most of the native teachers are using it as a dating agency in disguise

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:35 pm

Most of the "native English speakers" over here are functionally illiterate and at best have only a tenuous grasp of the language. :roll:

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:49 pm

It comes as a shock to many foreigners to find out how low salaries are in BG. I think we have had heated discussions about this before !

truckyboy
Super User!
Super User!

working in bg

Postby truckyboy » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:04 am

Just to add to the converstaion, i agree with all of the posters, a lot of brits go to BG hoping for a better or easier life. They buty a cheap delapidated property for £5000, spend hundreds doing it up to their liking, then decide to stay..or even sell it ? But anyway workwise, there is little unless you have the skills. My wife is Bulgarian with a british citizenship, she is also a teacher of english in the uk, on fantastic money, but she would never dream of working in BG for such low wages. She can see the so called english teachers and translators bearing all their spelling mistakes, ( they still use `Kintergarten ) instead of Primary school/nursery..and has often had to correct some translators when needing a certified document.
In BG she would be grabbed with both hands as she is highly skilled, has a cambridge degree in language skills, is an expert in EMA. We have an apartment in Pomorie and she retires next year when we can spend more time there, but she will continue working in the uk but part time. I am retired with 2 pensions and my money goes a long way in BG , i smoke, i drink, we eat out most evenings, so we can and do live very well..but thats good planning. our mortgage in the uk is finished, and our home in bg all paid for too, so no big bills. My advice is plan your way forward, and dont jump in at the deep end. I wish Amandi all the luck in the world.

mememe
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mememe » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:44 pm

Good luck to you both when you can eventually and finally settle down, truckyboy! :D

One point though, I wouldn't say that using 'kindergarten' is a 'mistake'...

It's originally from German, of course, (translated literally = childrens' garden) and is actually the perfectly acceptable to many (and probably more globally-taught and used) American-English word for the British-English 'nursery/pre-school/playschool'.

Getting back on topic, it's a wise move to have income sourced from outside BG if at all possible, but Russia is probably one source to avoid at present.

FlagHostel

Postby FlagHostel » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:57 pm

Me me,

I see you get 105 rubles to £1 today.

Last time I looked it was 85.

So a good buy maybe ?

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:22 am

"Kindergarten" has long been a recognised English word. Its German origin is a reflection of the historical fact that organised nursery education started in the German-speaking world.

Froebel was the main man I recollect

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindergarten

Return to “Employment”