GAS SUPPLIES TERMINATED

Look here to read or post general articles and links about Bulgaria from the press and to advise of pending relevant TV coverage.

Moderator: Moderator

Pirol
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Pirol » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:06 pm

That´s from the BBC website:

'No progress' in Europe gas talks

Talks between EU and Russian and Ukrainian officials to try to end the row disrupting gas supplies in Europe have ended with no apparent progress.

Further planned talks in Brussels were reportedly cancelled, and there is no sign of direct Russia-Ukraine talks.

Hopes were raised after a meeting between the heads of the two countries' gas companies in Moscow overnight.

The optimism of the Bulgarian energy minister (saying yesterday that the crisis is about to end in at least 5 days) seems to be misplaced...

LUCI
Super User!
Super User!

Postby LUCI » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:16 pm

petrtol can be up to double the price of gas so i suppose the taxis are bound to increase their prices!

Pirol
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Pirol » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:42 pm

Last news: Gas will come again. Thread can be closed soon.

jinx57
<b>Property Finder</b>

gas

Postby jinx57 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:35 pm

oops!
Hope you all have loads of wood to keep warm

leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:02 pm

Hope it gets turned on soonAnimals in Bulgaria zoo shiver without gas heating

SOFIA, Jan 8 (Reuters) - About 1,300 animals in a Bulgarian zoo were left without gas to heat their enclosures on Thursday, the latest victims of the Russia-Ukraine supply row.

The zoo in the capital Sofia rushed to switch to electric heaters to keep its elephants, monkeys, parrots, rhinos and hippos warm in the sub-zero temperatures.

"About a third of the animals are vulnerable to cold," said the zoo's director Ivan Ivanov said. "Only the Siberian tigers feel comfortable in these temperatures."

All Russian gas supplies to Europe were halted over a price dispute a day earlier.

Heating was sharply reduced in snow-covered Sofia and hundreds of thousands of people across the Balkans were left in the cold as the impact on the hardest-hit region grew.

Guiness

Postby Guiness » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:56 pm

Pirol wrote:Last news: Gas will come again. Thread can be closed soon.

One truly hopes this thread doesn't get more cynical than that.

dylan

Postby dylan » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:20 pm

Wholesale gas prices rocket 26 percent in britain in three days when they only rely on 2 percent of gas from russia and they export gas to the rest of europe at the same time. It just makes me sick to read how we can be so manipulated and cant do a thing about it. The price of wood and coal has shot up in bg so everyone gets taken for a ride. The russians want more money for their gas,they blame the Ukraine, the russians dont want the defense sheild missile bases in the Ukraine etc., work it out for yourselves ,this gas turnoff is a sheild in itself and as usual the ordinary public sufers. The gas maybe switched back on but we wont get to know the deals that have been struck between the lines. All we will know is that we have to pay MORE. Same old storiy the world over. Keep warm. dylan

Pirol
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Pirol » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:58 pm

dylan wrote:Wholesale gas prices rocket 26 percent in britain in three days when they only rely on 2 percent of gas from russia and they export gas to the rest of europe at the same time. It just makes me sick to read how we can be so manipulated and cant do a thing about it.

Manipulation? I guess we once called it "capitalism".... :wink:

dylan

Postby dylan » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:30 pm

EU Threatens to get tough with Russia HA, HA. Russia flatly refuses to turn gas back on .Times online a few minutes ago. GOOGLE .uk news. pirol manipulation and yes capitolism versus communisum . Cant beat them so join them. why cant Russia now dream of being the world power, sod the arms race ,sod the space race , give me Money thats what I want and if Russia can hold Europe to ransome then the rest of the world can be taken as well. Differant kind of war these days . This is now nothing to do with gas ,this is to do with who is holding the best hand. Dont surround Russia with missiles they are saying. A billion dollar poker game, you would think they would keep us warm while we watch though. Ding Ding, round two. dylan :roll: :wink: :?:

eureka
Super User!
Super User!

Postby eureka » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:55 am

Simonita wrote:Actually, is anyone else appalled by how lightly this European crisis is being treated in the UK?

Simonita, I couldn't agree more!

Anyway, it appears that Russia has agreed to the EU demands for the deployment of EU monitors to oversee the transit pipelines via Ukraine.

This move should clear the way for the resumption of gas supplies to Bulgaria, and the rest of Europe.

So for now, it's fingers crossed.

Return to “Media Coverage”