lpg conversion, Repairs... business idea?

Anyone already in Bulgaria who is ready, willing and able to help those coming over? Job vacancies? Employment advice and information? Post it here!

Moderator: Moderator

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Thu May 20, 2010 5:35 pm

A ship in harbor is safe - but that is not what ships are for. Go for it.

gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Thu May 20, 2010 7:32 pm

I have a BG friend who would like to go into business with me so that could help the passport situation

Bear in mind that most of the shock, horror, innocent foreigner in Bulgaria fraud stories involve developing a relationship with a Bulgarian.

In any country being a business partner is worse than being married in its potential for strife and wallet damage. And a business that can barely support one person certainly won't support two unless it's built on a growth model.

Never go for a 50:50 partnership, or your business will collapse when you can't agree what instant coffee to buy :D

I would have thought this is a lousy business for you to go into. What about chipping, remapping and stuff like that?

gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Thu May 20, 2010 7:48 pm

Given a choice, go for the business where the customers have more money than sense!

tamlynne2
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby tamlynne2 » Mon May 31, 2010 2:44 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I am coming over on the 9th June for a month or so with my kids for a holiday and will decide while there what I will be doing. Anymore suggestions would be great. I am open to any good ideas. I am prepared to learn if I do not know. Thanks Andrew

truckyboy
Super User!
Super User!

LPG

Postby truckyboy » Mon May 31, 2010 4:48 pm

I had a motorhome and decided to get it converted on one of my trips, it was as cheap as chips, and had it done in Russe. i sold it 5 years ago and i am still in touch with the owner who says it is running as sweet as a nut.
On one occasion in the uk, i took it for a service and the only fault the uk mechanic found was the hoses, which according to him was no better than garden hose...however he changed them to the brit ones and everything was fine.

I did find out that the BG mechanic used only imported Italian conversions, so make sure you have a good supplier of genuine parts.

On the mechanical side, its good to know theres a brit one about, although i am too far to take advantage ( pomorie ) but once your up and running, and we know where you are( my bg is a good place to advertise ) then i would `pop in` for a service :lol:

tamlynne2
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby tamlynne2 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:55 pm

Right the time is getting closer and would like to know if anyone else has ideas? All the ideas already have been put into my data bank (brain) hehe.
Andrew

Durak

Postby Durak » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:32 pm

I 'pimped' my ride a couple of days ago. Got a chap (www.miro-folio.com) to install that window darkening film so when I transport the dogs i don't get too many people stopping me to say oh, what sweet lovely....ahhhgh!!!! (as No.1 GSD beast bites over-friendly civilian on the face and No.2 beast lines up for the throat choke :twisted: ) But I digress....one thing I discovered in the car repair/upgrade business it's very very cliquey (yes, if you can believe even more cliquey than MYBG) I was told by no less than 4 different unconnected people that Miro is 'da' man for window work, and lo behold when I got to his place there are ferraris and porsches together with lada's and fords showcased on his client photo board.
You, my man, will need to establish a rock solid reputation and garner a following if you are to succeed in the car business - a rock solid reputation nonetheless in any business you pursue (like what I got
:wink: ) but there again I don't, thankfully, orbit 'cliquey world'.
Good luck

yankv8
Super User!
Super User!

LPG business

Postby yankv8 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:17 pm

I fear you will only waste your time,patience and money,the UK is hard enough to set up a business and be ' in profit ' and Bulgaria is ten times harder,in making money,red tape plus the language barrier.
Have you stayed for any length of time here in Bulgaria? or have you your UK business head on?I dont know where some Brits have their prices from regarding LPG systems and fitting,but i think they are being ripped off big time,as you know there are two different systems,carb and injection,i paid for a complete new system and fitting (ok a year and half ago) 400 lev,that was for a 2ltr petrol carb conversion,dual fuel switch over,never had a problem with it ! The injection price was 1400 lev,alarmingly more pricey,if you can beat or come close to that price,then go for it,if you can find premises safe and secure,with enough customers in that catchtment area,usually nearly every garage does or knows a mate that installs LPG/petrol systems in Bulgaria mind you,you might also have to deal with local heavies etc.
As for a mechanic or garage to Brits ?If you perhaps move/buy near to VT,you might just have a chance,IF you charge Bulgarian prices,many foriegners,i say foriegners instead of Brits,because business people fromdifferent places come over here thinking they can start up,in their trade or proffesion only to go home a year or two later ,with a big hole in their pockets !
Perhaps before outlaying money etc,you could possibly rent and get a 'feel for the place' as many have put all their eggs in one basket and suffered the consequences.
A good cheap luxery 4x4 mechanic might go down well,also Merc and BMW to the no necks.did someone mention window film ?like the ' mafia ' use,and everyone seems to want to copy,even in their rusty old 'go faster Lada's' ,maybe again but i doubt it,17 year olds are doing this for 40 lev per car (£20) fitted....

Durak

Re: LPG business

Postby Durak » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:27 pm

Edited
Last edited by Durak on Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PCVrach

Re: lpg conversion, Repairs... business idea?

Postby PCVrach » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:58 pm

tamlynne2 wrote:Hi, I am not sure I am posting in the right section but here goes. I am considering moving over to BG between Pleven and Nikopol (Vabel) area and would like to know wether doing lpg conversion and repairs would be a possible way off getting an income? Is there a big call for Lpg conversions and repairs? I would be able to travel and do the repairs and installations on site.
Many Thanks
Andrew

Hi Andrew. I fear we are too far away to be able to use your services, we have a place near Golden Sands.

Just as in the UK you need to do a business plan I feel, this includes market research to gauge your customer base.

Had you thought about providing a breakdown service like the AA or RAC in the UK? I haven't heard of one in Bulgaria tho that does not mean there isn't one.

I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide, regards, David.

Return to “Employment”