plumber needed

If you have bought property and need (or can recommend) reliable tradesmen of any profession please post here.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
User avatar
Mega User!
Mega User!
Posts: 2022

Postby gimlet » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:41 am

It's not obvious that you need a thermostat. What you need is an indication of the temperature in your system and the object that Mick described, which is in fact a thermometer rather than a thermostat can be popped on by anybody. You need two, one for flow and one for return.

If your return temperature turns out to be undesirably low you can do something about it then. For a wood burning boiler maybe 10 deg difference would be fine. The usual adjustment is by means of a bypass with a gate valve.

I've never heard of a thermostat in the main circulation, although TRVs are commonplace on radiators, and it sounds like a seriously bad idea to me.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property

Re: plumber needed

Postby Candyfrank » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:22 am

rab wrote:Hi,
I am looking for a plumber in the Dobrich area to fit a pipe thermostat to my wood burner.

Regards Robert ... 4545657708

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
User avatar
Pig Headed
Posts: 1940

Postby Slaphead » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:58 pm

Hi again Rab

Info from A N Other forum suggests you wish to have a thermostatic switch to control your centarl heating pump. You wish to be able to get the water temperature up above 40 degrees and to also prevent overheating of the water jacket.
I think mick described the orange thing in my photograph on The Other Forum which is basically a bi-metal strip in a plastic case. The Bi-metal switch is temperature activated and turns the pump on when the desired water temperature is achieved and turns it off when the water temperature drops.
If, like us, during the night in the depths of winter proper and you've banked the fire up, closed the dampers and tried to ensure the fire stays alight all night, if you want the system to pump a bit of warm water round the house every now and then, the only thing you need is the orange thing.
Broseley, a well known wood burner supplier in UK obviously know what they're about, however, having used woodburners for years (before we came to BG), sulphuric acid corrosion didn't figure in keeping the system optimum. De-sludging and flushing every few years seemed to be enough.
Then again, this is BG and therefore is bound to be different.

Return to “Trades People”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests