New for 2012, Hi

If you are new to the My Bulgaria forums and want a softer introduction other than diving straight in, just say 'hi' here. Tell us a little about yourself or your interest in Bulgaria maybe? We were all 'new' once!

Moderator: Moderator

BG9374

Postby BG9374 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:52 am

emcee wrote:
DANNIA wrote:I found I could be understood in Bourgas for instance, but not in the village when I first learned.

That's probably because they've got used to the idea that you can't speak the language.
I've found that many Bulgarians when they see a foreigner automatically assume they can't speak the language. My son (who is bilingual) was accompanying an English friend to hospital after an accident in Sozopol a couple of years ago was explaining stuff in Bulgarian to the ambulance crew all the way to hospital. Only when they reached the hospital did the paramedic turn round and say "Ama vie govorite na bulgarski!"(But you can speak Bulgarian).

I've also sometimes been met with bewildered looks when speaking to Bulgarians, but sometimes the drink may have had something to do with it...

Know only at this moment a few Bulgarian words, and when I do speak Bg to see those faces smile and a look of surprise is great.

Hello Mo - glad to have another on board at Mybg. :)

Return to “NEWBIES - Say 'Hi' here!”