Restaurant in Varna

Swap advice and information on the better places to go (or NOT to go) anywhere in Bulgaria for a great evening out. Restaurants, Bars, Clubs, Theatres. Whatever your tastes, share them with other Forum members here!

Moderator: Moderator

stew

Restaurant in Varna

Postby stew » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:02 am

Hi, just got back from 3 weeks in BG. Have booked flight for December so that we can spend new year in varna, something we have said we would like to do for the past 10years so this morning have booked a hotel for new years eve.

Can anybody recommend whether we need to book a restaurant in advance or if we will be okay just wandering around and will we get in somewhere on the night. Also I have been told that the firework display is something to see and would like to ask if anything takes place at the entrance to the sea gardens or is it just up near where the fountains are.

Any recommendations for a restaurant where we can see the display will be appreciated.

Thank you
Ang

FlagHostel

Postby FlagHostel » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:57 am

Hi ang,

No need to book a restaurant new years eve.

You can just walk around a find somewhere.

Seagarden, not much going on.

Stand by the fountain is your best bet.

They build a stage in front of the opera house and have live bands from about 4pm onwards.

Fireworks at midnight are good but only last about 30 mins.

Within an hour after fireworks finish, every just f u c k s off home and the centre is dead.

Nothing like London so don't expect much happening in the centre after 1.30 am.

Best to walk up to the drive through McDonalds and the boarder of the gypsy zone.

Here, they let off fireworks all through the night.

Good luck

stew

Restaurant in Varna

Postby stew » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:01 pm

Thanks flagHostel, we will do as you recommend, glad really that we don't have to book restaurant would rather just walk around until we feel like eating. By 1.30am we will probably be ready for bed, not as young as we were but still looking forward to it.

Thanks for your time.
Ang

SooToo

Postby SooToo » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:28 pm

We were in Varna for New Years Eve 2014 and it was brilliant - nothing like has been said here. There were huts selling gluhwein and snacks and it all went on to the early hours of the morning. We got back to our hotel at 3 am and it was all still happening in the square with the live music and hundreds of people there.

We booked a hotel for last year but couldn't make it due to the weather but will be booking a hotel again this year - if we can't go so be it but it's definately worth it and by the way there's not many places you can just "pop" into on New Years Eve.

FlagHostel

Postby FlagHostel » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:26 am

soo too,

it's sounds like it has got better since i was last there 2010 for new year -
and good to hear it.........

i as last in varna june this year for a couple of weeks.
i see with a new mayor, they are finally block paving the center and pavements

and a new fountain too

it all looks good.

though, with the amount of money that comes into the city during the summer,
they should have done all this years ago !

stew

Restaurant in varna

Postby stew » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:30 am

Thanks SooToo, good to know there is a lot going on. Now really looking forward to it. Tried to book the Europa restaurant online and next thing we got a pone call to say they are closing at 6pm on new years eve to let the staff have some time off but that we now have his personal number and if we have a problem to ring him and he will try to recommend somewhere. Couldn't believe he had gone to the trouble of ringing us in the uk, how lovely was that.

Anyway going to look on line and see if we can find another restaurant but any recommendations greatly appreciated. If not will be walking around eating whats available off the stalls.

Ang

Oscar
Mega User!
Mega User!

Re: Restaurant in varna

Postby Oscar » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:43 am

stew wrote:Thanks SooToo, good to know there is a lot going on. Now really looking forward to it. Tried to book the Europa restaurant online and next thing we got a pone call to say they are closing at 6pm on new years eve to let the staff have some time off but that we now have his personal number and if we have a problem to ring him and he will try to recommend somewhere. Couldn't believe he had gone to the trouble of ringing us in the uk, how lovely was that.

Anyway going to look on line and see if we can find another restaurant but any recommendations greatly appreciated. If not will be walking around eating whats available off the stalls.

Ang

i think you may end up snacking it from the fast food takeaways.There is a pizzeria,Morske Conche that is right next to where the fireworks usually are,but it won't be serving food until midnight.I went into the nearest Mehana to the square yesterday and asked them if they were open,but they said they are closed on 31st.
I would go on Slivnitsa,around where MacDonalds is,you have a good selection of restaurants like Happy,Subway and a new Turkish place plus a few more that should open until fairly late,then make your way to the main square as it gets nearer midnight,there are some small shops open late where you can buy a beer to take out and drink while you wait for midnight.
Many of the Mehanas that do work on New Years Eve are booked in advance and have a set menu with a cover price for large groups.
As has been said before,if the weather is anything like favourable,Varna will be partying until well into the early hours,and it will be a feel good atmosphere with lots of happy and smiling faces.

stew

Restaurant in Varna

Postby stew » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:34 pm

Thanks Oscar, may well end up just wandering and snacking either way we will enjoy it i'm sure. Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone.

Ang

Return to “Entertainment”