Melia Grand Hermitage Hotel Golden Sands

Had a good or bad holiday in Bulgaria? Used a good hotel? Then let everyone know! Don't be shy, praise the good and shame the bad.

Moderator: Moderator

alfandalma

Melia Grand Hermitage Hotel Golden Sands

Postby alfandalma » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:30 pm

This hotel is rated 5 star but I think they have given themselves this rating based on having over 770 rooms. I booked B&B for a week as I like the flexibility of eating at different restaurants. At check in I was told I had to pay an additional 20 lev per day for car park which was not advertised on their web site. The balcony in my room and another room my friends were in were dirty and tiles were falling off the wall. My room faced north so was cold and I had to ask reception for additional bedding. They have a scheme called the "Level" which is only an option on 20 rooms so if you book a room at a time these are full the wb page does not state unavailable it just doesn't give the option. Ok you may think so what is the problem. Well if you are not wearing an armband for having the "Level" package you are treated as a 3rd class citizen as All Inclusive are second class. The bar will charge you 9 lev for a drink that the mini market, 5 meters away charges 3 lev even though the MRP is 1.9 lev. The pool table is not in good condition and the cues have a plastic tip. It isn't possible to work out which parts of the hotel are for "Level" guests only as the signs are double sided so it depends what direction you are travelling. I accidentally sat on a "Level" sun lounger around the swimming pool so I was visited by a manager (21 year old girl) who unprofessionally created an embarrassing scene, it turned out that if I moved 5 meters to an identical sun lounger that would be OK. If I had paid extra for the "Level" package I would be displeased to know the sun lounger is the same just a few metres apart. I complained to the hotel management and the Melia group head office in Spain about the car park charge but was refused a refund as FOLLOWING my complaint they are updating this on their web site. The week cost me 1108 lev for the room and 140 lev car park. I live only 50K away but stayed to be able to drink with friends who were at the hotel. Never again. If you come to stay at Golden Sands the 3 star hotel are very good. In fact I told Melia group this is only a 2 star.

mememe
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mememe » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:04 pm

A salutary, expensive and disappointing tale indeed.

I usually check reviews on TripAdvisor/Booking.com and the like before I book anywhere, even if for just one night B&B.

At the slightest sniff or two of a bad review, I discard that possible resting place. TripAdvisor so far has 31 of them for the Melia, many of them saying exactly what you did....

You're quite right about the stars system, there is no unified and comprehensive system in place in Europe or elsewhere and the hotels do, indeed, often just award themselves however many stars they like...

FlagHostel

Postby FlagHostel » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:54 pm

alf,

1108 levs for 1 week room only ?

you were definately ripped off.

in st.konstantine & elena, especially now october, i know at least 3 hotels
for 30 levs a night full board

so that's 210 for 1 week, 5 times less...

i take meme's point on trip adviser reviews - but even these you have to
be cautious over.
many are fake.

most owners, especially in the hostel world, give guests a free night's stay
if they leave 100 % reviews.

but hotels have to be careful doing this.

booking.com, hotels.com & hostelworld are red hot on it now.

i know one hostel in the ukraine, had 5 of his ukrainian mates booking 1 night,
getting the review link on their email and leaving 100 % reviews.

they were total idiots.

the owner had the same 5 friends booking and reviewing every month.

the hostel only got caught out when an american backpacker wrote to
hostelworld and complained that all the 100 % reviews on the hostel, were
made by the same people.

the hostel got investigated and thrown off the hostelworld site.

it closed down 2 months later as they had no guests

so all reviews you have to be careful when reading them

mememe
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mememe » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:17 pm

FlagHostel wrote:i take meme's point on trip adviser reviews - but even these you have to be cautious over. many are fake.
most owners, especially in the hostel world, give guests a free night's stay
if they leave 100 % reviews.

That's why I specifically mentioned only the negative reviews, flags. That way, even if the odd review is posted on behalf of a rival hotel/guest house (which is possible, but less likely, as they'd have to post for ALL the local competition, which would be much more noticeable and probably investigated more deeply)... if there's more than a couple of 'reasonable and balanced' negative reviews, then I move in choosing on anyway. But if they had 1,000 positives, I'd linger a bit longer on them, of course...

I didn't comment before, but yes, that is hellish expensive, alf. Being in BG, you should have known better - but thanks for the heads-up nonetheless, not that I would ever be looking to book anywhere in that price range anyway... ... :lol:

Return to “Holidays and Hotels in Bulgaria”