Draining down my bulgarian house

You now have a property and need someone to look after it whilst you are away or renting it? This is the place to look and post!

Moderator: Moderator

Johnnjulie

Draining down my bulgarian house

Postby Johnnjulie » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:31 pm

Hi all needing some info. We have bought a house in mogilino and left to come back to the UK for the winter. Have de winterized the house , drained boiler etc , water off and salt down plug holes etc. In our haste to get away I completely forgot to open the drain valves at the water meter. What effect if any will this have. Many thanks.

mememe
Super User!
Super User!

Re: Draining down my bulgarian house

Postby mememe » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:07 pm

Johnnjulie wrote:Hi all needing some info. We have bought a house in mogilino and left to come back to the UK for the winter. Have de winterized the house , drained boiler etc , water off and salt down plug holes etc. In our haste to get away I completely forgot to open the drain valves at the water meter. What effect if any will this have. Many thanks.

Depending on location, depth and other factors, parts of the system might freeze - or they might not.

You'll find out when you come back.... :D

I wouldn't put salt down the plug holes... It rusts the hell out of the metal fittings... Just remove and empty the traps.

Johnnjulie

Postby Johnnjulie » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:47 pm

Thanks for the info. Fingers crossed and all that. Anybody in the Dve Mogili area or tsar asen areas of bulgaria?. We are in a village called Mogilino. Perhaps some lovely local person on here could pop in and drain the valves for us. Gladly give a remittance to themselves or donation to a charity of their choice.

peterpiper
Super User!
Super User!

Postby peterpiper » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:07 am

Use anti-freeze for the traps and the toilet bowl, also put an anti-freeze solution in a small plastic bottle, about 1/3 full and place in the bowl, this will absorb any ice expansion and stop the bowl cracking. Although the anti-freeze in the bowl should do it but better safe than sorry.

SvetaEldrief

ðàäèî êðàñíîÿðñê âñå ðàäèîñòàíöèè

Postby SvetaEldrief » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:07 pm

ïðîãðàììà êàíàëàìè ðàäèî ðàäèîñòàíöèÿ âîñòîê Rish
1 íàöèîíàëüíûé êàíàë áåëîðóññêîãî ðàäèî ðàäèîñòàíöèÿ motorola tlkr t80 Wefs
ñëóøàòü 1 êàíàë áåëîðóññêîãî ðàäèî ñëóøàòü ðóññêèå ðàäèîñòàíöèè dusa

mihangel
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mihangel » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:27 pm

Most Bulgarian villagers insulate their water-meters during the winter months. The usual way is to use polythene, (known as nylon in Bulgaria). You wind a wide strip around the water-meter, perhaps five or six times or more, and tie the ends tightly with string so as to get a fairly air tight seal around the pipe. Any old polythene will do, perhaps from fertiliser bags or similar. A more modern and efficient method would be to use bubble wrap, and even better still, if you can get it, metallised reflecting bubble-foil.

All Bulgarian villagers know how to insulate a water-meter (vodomer). Maybe you could contact a local who could do it in their own way.

If the worst happens and the water-meter ices up and bursts then you will have to contact the local waterman when you return to the house in the spring. You will then have to buy a new water-meter and the waterman will visit and fit it and add a company seal. The fitting of the water-meter should be free, however no attempt will be made to read the broken meter, instead, after a short interval, you will receive a large bill for water used, based on a monthly rate and backdated to some arbitrary time in the past. This will not be cheap. It is far preferable to have a vodomer than to pay the monthly rate, but if the vodomer malfunctions this is the company's fall back option.

Fingers crossed, and with the assistance of a helpful neighbour, it will not happen, but if the water meter goes through the winter, undrained and uninsulated, it probably will. Here ends my tail.

ChrisF
Super User!
Super User!

Postby ChrisF » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:04 am

If it's any consolation I don't think we have ever insutated our water meter in the 12 years we've been here, and have never had a problem - depends where the meter is situated of course.
Also, it's supposed to be a mild winter - more consolation.
A warning though, I would give anyone access to your house unless you know them very well,

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:32 pm

I always had a neighbour who would take care of things in our absence. Surely there is someone in your village whom you can trust !

ChrisF
Super User!
Super User!

Postby ChrisF » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:49 pm

Scot, you lived in Bulgaria for a long time and were well established; I'm sure that you had neighbours that you could trust, and who could trust you, however from the opening post it seems that this house in Moglinno has just been bought so the poster is new to the village, moreover the new owners don't live in Bg permanentlyl,so are even less likely to know anyone very well, hence my warning.

Johnnjulie

Postby Johnnjulie » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:28 pm

Hi all , thank you for all your replys. The meter is positioned outside the house in a hole about 4 feet or so deep. Boilers been drained down etc and stop cock turned off its just the valves I'm worried about as not sure about how much water they let out . The meter I've covered up with material so hopefully that will be OK?

Return to “Property Management”