Hello from N. Ireland

If you are new to the My Bulgaria forums and want a softer introduction other than diving straight in, just say 'hi' here. Tell us a little about yourself or your interest in Bulgaria maybe? We were all 'new' once!

Moderator: Moderator

Laurie Driver

Hello from N. Ireland

Postby Laurie Driver » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:05 am

I've been lurking for a few months and registered a while ago, so I thought it about time to make an intro post before diving in asking for help and advice.

In 6 months time I'm packing up life in the UK into a hatchback and making the trip to my partner in Sofia, to live and work permanently. I'm obviously excited for it all but the bureaucracy worries me a little to be legal to work right away (there's plenty of English speaking jobs in my tech field in the city) and the big one of registering my UK car out there. So many conflicting stories of what I need to do (headlights, etc) and what paperwork I need to bring. I'd have thought letting my (Bulgarian) partner register it in her name but it seems I can't just 'give' her the car like you can in the UK that there's a pain in the rear notary system to prove change in ownership? No idea.

Anyway, hope to become a bit more active on the forums as D day looms

SheilaP

Re: Hello from N. Ireland

Postby SheilaP » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:17 am

Hi I registered my vehicle here about five years ago with help from a My Bulgaria member called Troyan. Also some Bulgarian friends. The vehicle is owned by a company we set up here in 2008. It wasn't especially easy but it was completely do-able. You have to go to the local KAT office with all the correct documents and the vehicle will then be inspected, in my case, the inspection was not particularly thorough. Think it cost around 100 leva. They then fit BG plates and away to go.

I'm sure others on here will have loads of advice and experience to share with you.

Good luck in your new life!

garethp
Never changed the lights!!

bigbulg
<b>Legal Services</b>

Postby bigbulg » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:40 am

You wont be able to register the vehicle until you have a residence card, temporary or otherwise, i can suggest the card should be the first thing to get especially if you plan to live and work in BG, you have 6 months to register the car so no big rush there. A blue zone parking permit would also be a plus. If you have a BG partner it should be possible to "sell" the car to them to register it easier/quicker.
At the bottom of the previous answer it states "never change the lights" i'm not sure if it was intended advice for you, if it was ignore it, for safety's sake it is very important to change them for LHD, driving at night is a pain/scarey and dangerous with RHD headlights.
Sofia is a great city, i'm sure you'll enjoy it.

SheilaP

Postby SheilaP » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:22 pm

Sorry it was not 'never change the lights but (I have never changed the lights) because they are not available. Use the EU beam changing strips instead. No trouble to date.

Laurie Driver

Postby Laurie Driver » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:18 pm

Thanks for the welcome and tips so far, much appreciated, and sorry for taking to long to reply.

Sofia is indeed a great city, however I'm much more looking forward to spending time with the new family out in the sticks on weekends and to be honest if it wasn't for that I wouldn't bother with a car at all. Before entering tech I was a driver for 10 years and after the drive from Cherbourg - Sofia I'll done with driving! Metro/trams for a commute please and thank you.

As with the car I intend doing like I do for MOTs here, send it in then fix/change whatever they fail it on. I'm coming as a worker so no registering as a company it will be have to be private. I've been told at the KAT I need a bill of sale or proof of ownership to put it in my parters name, even us both turning up with ID and the log book wont be enough to appease the woman behind the window apparently, so do we need to go to a solicitor out there with ID etc and have them draw up some contract or something? I'm lost.

As for the lights I'll be putting the stickers on, with the intention of grabbing a set from a scrap yard out there once I'm settled - it helps I happened to have bought a Dacia when they came to the UK and that they're everywhere out east!

Painter
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Painter » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:12 pm

Welcome to the forum Laurie... If you like a little bit of banter you should enjoy it...

Return to “NEWBIES - Say 'Hi' here!”