Hello again!

If you are new to the My Bulgaria forums and want a softer introduction other than diving straight in, just say 'hi' here. Tell us a little about yourself or your interest in Bulgaria maybe? We were all 'new' once!

Moderator: Moderator

schwartzy

Hello again!

Postby schwartzy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:08 pm

Not a newbie but haven't been on here for years. I used this site a lot when we first bought our place nearly 12 years ago and got lots of useful information so thought I'd check in. We go out to our place a few times a year and now feel like honorary Bulgarians. It took a while but we've now been to various weird and wonderful local celebrations and even a Bulgarian wedding last year (our neighbours' grandson). Apparently I also have a local accent, which I'm guessing is the Bulgarian equivalent of having an Essex accent going by where our house is! Discovering Bulgaria is definitely one of the best things that I've done.

LilacLillie

Re: Hello again!

Postby LilacLillie » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:54 pm

Hi Schwartz, like you I was one of the original first few members of this site. Haven't been on for years either. It's changed a lot but doesn't seem as 'chatty' as it once was. I have lots of questions now we are down the line but looks like some posts have not been answered in months! Where are you in UK & BG?

paul-alice
Super User!
Super User!

Postby paul-alice » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:03 am

We too bought our house around 12 years ago but moved here permanent for the last 4 years and never looked back

oldtimer
<b>Prop Management/Transport/Sales</b>

Postby oldtimer » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:26 pm

Hi been here now for over 21 years and also loved the site when it first started, sad that it just not used much anymore. I suppose the buying of property here in Bulgaria has now slowed right down and for all the people who have lived here now for a number of years have got there heads around the way things run.

I still look in a post the post as they say.

banjo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby banjo » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:16 pm

I keep up with the site but not much info lately is there anything exciting happening. I will be back in Varna 10th sept until 6th october looking forward to it.

Astrid

Postby Astrid » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:13 am

Hello everyone
Considering packing up and moving to Bulgariato buy a small house with land
Want to renovate the property and keep pigs, chickens and a milk cow
Just after advice on where to start looking for the type of licence needed to rear and sell hogs, eggs and any surplace milk along with anyone having info on doing all of this over there please?
I have had animals all my life so the work does not scare me at all and the house we are thinking of has about 3 acres so will need to run fencing and let the animals dig it over for us and feed themselves in the main at the same time
Any tips, advice and contacts be much appreciated
Oh, partner is a landscaper and has done houses up in the past

Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:49 pm

Hello Astrid,

If you want to do this as a hobby, you can find someone to walk you through the rules. If you want to do this for anything like an income, think again. You are competing with all your Bulgarian neighbours for eggs and for selling pigs and/or milk you run into a whole bunch of veterinary testing rules that will make it very expensive. And then you have to sell into the poorest country in Europe. Half the year your land will be under snow and mud, producing nothing.

I have long harboured dreams of running Mangalitsa pigs and pastured poultry but I guess I watch too many Youtube videos of permaculture farms that only work when you can sell a bird for 30 euro. And I'm an agricultural economist by profession. I must get around to buying a nice orchard and planning for a retirement of rocking up in the spring to put down half a dozen piglets and a few hundred broilers, spending the summers watching them grow and legging it to the Greek islands for the winter.

Farming is, unless you are a grain mafia, a mug's game.

Zagorkaman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Zagorkaman » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:41 pm

Hello all,

Been quite some time since I was last on any forum let alone this one.

Next year I am making the move over to BG for maybe 6 months and need to pick brains on routes, tolls, vignettes, hotels as I won't be rushing and want to see a bit of Europe on the way across. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Will be posting help requests soon.

banjo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby banjo » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:48 pm

lots of luck and a good journey on your venture keep us posted.

Zagorkaman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Zagorkaman » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:46 pm

Thanks Banjo
Any tips greatly received!

Return to “NEWBIES - Say 'Hi' here!”