BREXIT UPDATE MEETING IN VELIKO TARNOVO

Confused? Hopefully less so after you have read this lot!

Moderator: Moderator

ChrisF
Super User!
Super User!

BREXIT UPDATE MEETING IN VELIKO TARNOVO

Postby ChrisF » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:44 pm

The British Embassy in Sofia is pleased to announce the second round of outreach meetings for British Nationals in Bulgaria in November and December 2018.

Emma Hopkins, Her Majesty’s Ambassador and Lynne Charles, Deputy Head of Mission, invite the British community in Veliko Tarnovo and the region for a discussion on EU exit planning at Veliko Tarnovo Town Hall (Ritualna zala, to the left from the main entrance) on 15 November, from 11:30-13:00.

This meeting is an opportunity for the Ambassador to meet the local British community in Veliko Tarnovo, and give an update on our preparations for EU exit, and in particular what this means for British Nationals in Bulgaria. There will be a Q&A session where you can raise anything else of interest. The Ambassador will be accompanied by the consular team who will also be available to take questions.

Please find more information about the event on your ticket after registering here https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/meeting- ... 2206871157

Please note that you must register in advance in order to attend this event and bring your ticket and a photo ID with you.

paul-alice
Super User!
Super User!

Re: BREXIT UPDATE MEETING IN VELIKO TARNOVO

Postby paul-alice » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:45 pm

The goverment do not know whats going to happen after brexit so does Emma Hopkins have information they do not have,

ChrisF
Super User!
Super User!

Postby ChrisF » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:38 pm

I assume there have been discussions/negotiations with the Bg government to do with any possible changes in residency conditions and reciprocal healthcare arrangements, as well as future pension rights, i.e. things that affect us directly if we live here, otherwise meetings would not be held across the country - I'll post after the meeting with any relevant information.

ChrisF
Super User!
Super User!

Postby ChrisF » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:55 am

TAKEN FROM BBC NEWS THIS MORNING -

The European Commission could decide British people will need permission to travel to EU countries after 29 March 2019, a requirement that usually applies to countries in the developing world.

If this is the case, Britons would have to fill in a three-page form, pay €60 (£52; $68) for a visa and wait up to six weeks for approval. Romantic last-minute trips on the Eurostar would become a thing of the past.

French President Emmanuel Macron suggested last month that Brits travelling to France wouldn't need visas in the event of no Brexit deal being agreed between the UK and Europe.

But will his European partners agree?

Apparently the EU will decide this tomorrow - there are many issues which could affect us who live in or visit Bulgaria and I'm hoping that the meeting on Thursday will provide some answers

banjo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby banjo » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:46 am

Hi guys, I cannot see the EU telling the Brits that they will need a Visa to travel it will have a bad effect on all countries in the EU with the loss of the British spending power.Lets just look at Spain over 1 million live there another million go on holiday every year. Then coming up is the winter holidays to the canaries. I also cannot see pensions being affected either.I am concerned about EHIC but I suppose we can take out extra insurance to cover this.Lets not panic until the fat lady sings.Thanks for informing us ChrisF .

ChrisF
Super User!
Super User!

Postby ChrisF » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:27 pm

The EU will decide, and like everyone else I live in hope, but nothing is certain until everything is signed, sealed and delivered.
It's not the EHIC that concerns me but more the reciprocal healthcare that UK pensioners who live here can obtain by submitting an S1 form to the Bulgarian National Health Service.
And pensions - it could be that UK pensioners living in all EU countries could lose yearly increments and heating allowances....
And as for residency, it's not so easy for non-EU citizens to come here.....
Let's hope everything does work out well for us, but nothing is certain until everything is signed on the dotted line.
Like everyone I'm hopeful that nothing much will change so it will be interesting to see what is said in Thursday

truckyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby truckyboy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:49 pm

I wonder what the status will be on the residents cards..does that not give us the right to visit ? as i dont think it had anything to do with being a member of an eu country.

ChrisF
Super User!
Super User!

Postby ChrisF » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:32 pm

Our residency status is indeed tied to being an EU citizen living in an EU country.

banjo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby banjo » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:59 am

T.may is holding a cabinet meeting this morning I think judgement day is around the corner.I am not sure if she will be able to get an agreement with her ministers.The other day we were told that 95% was done the sticking point is Ireland. So we will have to wait and see but this could force T.May out of office with a no confidence vote that could lead to a general election.

Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:22 am

Rees-Mogg is unhappy, so it must be good news. Then again, that ghastly man is permanently unhappy.

Return to “Visas, Residency & Registration”