Locks changed

If you have bought property and need (or can recommend) reliable tradesmen of any profession please post here.

Moderator: Moderator

mishmash

Locks changed

Postby mishmash » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:54 am

Hi, Anyone know someone who can change locks on the front door
(UPVC) in the Kyustendil area. My Bulgarian isn’t great so would be helpful in they had basic English.
Also, when draining tanks/toilet etc for winter I believe many people use salt. How much is normal to put down?

Many Thanks

mememe
Super User!
Super User!

Re: Locks changed

Postby mememe » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:56 am

mishmash wrote:Hi, Anyone know someone who can change locks on the front door
(UPVC) in the Kyustendil area. My Bulgarian isn’t great so would be helpful in they had basic English.
Also, when draining tanks/toilet etc for winter I believe many people use salt. How much is normal to put down?

Many Thanks

I’m not local to you but I’m not that far away either, being on the Kyustendil side of Pernik. Unfortunately, I don’t have any trade contacts at all because I did everything in my house renovation myself. However, if you’re really really stuck about the door lock, I could see if I can persuade the other half to have a day out and I will give you a hand, but please do your very best to sort it out yourself first.

I know it's not what you asked for but changing a uPVC door lock is usually pretty easy and the locks themselves are generally standard fittings. Remove two plastic screw covers from the handle- screws and then the two long screws holding the handles on. Then remove just one more screw from the door jamb and the lock will come out. Replacement locks are available from most builders merchants and DIY stores Here's a vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6iEBpqcA7s

If you don’t want to DIY it, could you perhaps enlist the help of a Bulgarian speaker - a friend or neighbour? If not then you could end up just spotting some window fitter/general builder at work somewhere and dragging him forcibly back to your house whilst using sign language to try and get what you want across… Not really ideal..

I assume that, as is usual here, you have no water header tank or a central heating system… So on the salt question, assuming that all your pipe runs fall to the drain-tap with no water left lingering in the pipework, the locations you need to worry about are the toilet U-bend and the toilet cistern, (empty as much as possible by flushing with the water turned off), both of which will not drain completely, and the sink traps. For salt quantity, salt is cheap and I’d suggest pouring a cupful of salt into each location. An alternative method for emptying the first two locations completely would be to use a small kitchen sponge to soak up and remove all water from the U-bend and the cistern and then no salt would be required there. I have to say that I don’t really like the salt method as it’s corrosive to some fittings.

You must also make sure the hot water boiler, if you have one, is drained as much as possible, preferably to completely empty, which can best be achieved by opening the hot and cold taps and/or undoing the metal-braided flexible connection pipes which feeds cold water to the boiler. After the water has been turned off, leave all sink and stop taps OPEN to obviate any residual water in the taps freezing and bursting the tap components.

A lot of writing to explain what should be (for me, admittedly) two relatively simple operations - but I hope this helps….

mishmash

Postby mishmash » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:41 am

Hi Many thanks for all your assistance. I managed to change the lock myself (with a much stronger one supposedly drill proof etc) by watching u tube videos. I will do as you suggest for draining. I used to have a neighbour do all this but we have had a falling out and he still had keys to the house hence lock change. I’m sure he would give me keys back if I asked but how do I know other keys haven’t been cut? Thanks again

mememe
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mememe » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:09 pm

mishmash wrote:Hi Many thanks for all your assistance. I managed to change the lock myself (with a much stronger one supposedly drill proof etc) by watching u tube videos. I will do as you suggest for draining. I used to have a neighbour do all this but we have had a falling out and he still had keys to the house hence lock change. I’m sure he would give me keys back if I asked but how do I know other keys haven’t been cut? Thanks again

It's good news that you got the lock sorted out...

I don't know what disagreement you had with your neighbour but if it's surmountable, then try to get relations back on an even keel if you can. As I'm sure you know, good neighbours are an invaluable asset to have.

All the best,

Return to “Trades People”