Bulgarian Property Directory - My Bulgaria
Quick Enquiry
Close
If you would like to advertise with MyBulgaria.info, Please fill out the form
Name
Address/City
Phone Number
Your Ads Info
Worldwide Property TV ski properties Sofia property main Advertising My Deal Flightsbulgaria
User Features:-   My BG Forums  My BG Blogger  Users Picture Gallery Home Bookmark and Share

My Bulgaria: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   Click here to use the advanced forum searchAdvanced Search   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   new user registrationNew User Signup 

Quick Forum Search:

Dobrina village, near Provadia
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic    My Bulgaria Forum Index -> My Place!
View previous topic :: View next topic       Print this topic page
Rosa
Super User!
Super User!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:31 pm 
Post subject: Dobrina village, near Provadia

So where and who are all the Brits (and other newcomers) in Dobrina, I wonder? During our last visit to our house in Dobrina, in October 2006, my husband and I were told that there are about 10 British families with houses in the village now. We only visit a couple of times a year, so have only come across one Brit so far. Obviously we do not actually want to spend too much of our time in Bulgaria with other Brits, being as we go there for the change and the exoticism of it all like everyone else, but we would like to have occasional contact just to swap useful information. Maybe Dinko and Maria who run the one and only pub/shop/restaurant in Dobrina would like to keep a list of the names and addresses (as far as addresses exist in BG!) of those newcomers who would not mind the odd knock at the door for a quick cup of tea or glass of rakia. Or maybe instead there could be a kind of "Brit Hour" every week at Dinko's caff, say 11 o'clock every Wednesday morning, as an anonymous, no-commitment meeting point. We are visiting Dobrina in April, so here's hoping we'll meet some Brits/Germans/Scandinavians/whoever some Wednesday around Easter at Dinko and Maria's! It is more or less next to the church, by the way.

"Rosa"

Last edited by Rosa on Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:35 pm 
Post subject: Dobrina

We are in a village between Provadiya and Shumen. My wife and daughters are there all year round.

We have got to know a fair number of people areound Dobrina and Provadiya.

Feel free to contact us.
sheffieldm
Super User!
Super User!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:02 pm 
Post subject: provadia

hi there is quite a few brits round this area or within 1/2 wsso get in touch we live in kylevcha full time so pm me ,
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:44 pm 
Post subject:

And remember from Dobrina you can take the slow train ( Putnicheski). In one direction to Sindel, Beloslav and Varna and in the other to Provadiya, Nevsha, Kaspichan, Madara and Shumen.

Last edited by scot47 on Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
juloubeth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:17 pm 
Post subject: dobrina

hi Rosa,
I can recall when on the train journey Scot47 mentioned in his post the Dobrina stop on the way to Varna. You are not so far from us. We are in Nevsha which is a couple of stops up the track from you in the direction of Shumen. We will also be over in April as will another couple of families in our village so if you want to meet up for a chat please feel free to pm.
Juloubeth
Rosa
Super User!
Super User!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:16 pm 
Post subject:

Just wanted to clear some confusion regarding the location of Dobrina village: it is not where the railway halt called Dobrina is! It is in fact a kilometre or so away, as the crow flies, high on a mountain plateau (called Dobrinsko Plato) on the eastern side of Provadia. You can get to it only by road, either from Manastir or Provadia.
In fact its location is so spectacular that it is worth a visit just to have a wander around. When in Provadia, if you take the road that leads to the famous Ovech Fortress, past the cemetery and past the fortress turning, and just continue along the hairpin mountain road, you suddenly pop up on the plateau and see Dobrina's weird landmark, a communist era huge white building with "wings" on top. This is so distinctive that we have spotted it several times from an aeroplane, from a considerable distance away, on our way in or out of Varna! Anyone in a village on the opposite side of the Provadia gorge can probably see it all the time.

Apart from this, "our" village has all the usual charming features of Bulgarian rural life, the drinking fountains with troughs for animals below, the palisades for sheep made of flimsy branches, donkeys and goats grazing on the verges; and our village being large and a bit posh even has quite a few horses and some dairy cattle, not to mention the vinyards and large fields of maize and other crops outside the village.

If you do drive through Dobrina, remember to go slowly to be nice to the geese who live in the road! And do have a walk along the edge of the plateau overlooking the Ovech Fortress - the easiest way to see the fortress!

Last edited by Rosa on Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:54 pm 
Post subject:

In Bulgaria it is quite common for the railway station to be miles away from the town/village with the same name. Mutnitsa near us for example. The station must be 3 km away from the village ! Razgrad ! Our own village of Madara - the station is built in the most inconvenient location. Right at the opposite end of the village to my house !

But I am still a railway user ! It is still for me the best way to get around. May God preserve us from a Bulgarian Dr. Beeching !
Reply to topic    My Bulgaria Forum Index -> My Place! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: