Bulgarian Property Directory - My Bulgaria
Quick Enquiry
Close
If you would like to advertise with MyBulgaria.info, Please fill out the form
Name
Address/City
Phone Number
Your Ads Info
Summer home ski properties Sofia property main Advertising My Deal Flightsbulgaria
User Features:-   My BG Forums  My BG Blogger  Users Picture Gallery Home Bookmark and Share

My Bulgaria: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   Click here to use the advanced forum searchAdvanced Search   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   new user registrationNew User Signup 

Quick Forum Search:

Earthquake - I'm All Shook Up!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Reply to topic    My Bulgaria Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic       Print this topic page
Liliana
Mega User!
Mega User!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:54 am 
Post subject:

It is Lyn. Maybe it wasn't an earthquake but it did rumble for ages after the bang and again about 1 and 2 hours later. I don't know anything about earthquakes and it's not been recorded like the 2 overnight. Whatever it was it scared the life out of me. Enough to go out in the freezing cold to check there wasn't any debris around the house....
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:14 am 
Post subject:

Liliana wrote:
It is Lyn. Maybe it wasn't an earthquake but it did rumble for ages after the bang and again about 1 and 2 hours later.

It really does sound to me like Walkage has finally defrosted his toilet and used it. Rolling Eyes

If you lived in the mountains, I would have said it was an avalanche, but you don't. I have suffered an earth tremor in the UK and there was definitely a BANG at the beginning and a violent shudder. I at first thought it was the Wife plugging her toy into the mains again, but I was wrong. Rolling Eyes
lyn
Mega User!
Mega User!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:05 pm 
Post subject:

Moscow_Wolf wrote:
Liliana wrote:
It is Lyn. Maybe it wasn't an earthquake but it did rumble for ages after the bang and again about 1 and 2 hours later.

It really does sound to me like Walkage has finally defrosted his toilet and used it. Rolling Eyes

If you lived in the mountains, I would have said it was an avalanche, but you don't. I have suffered an earth tremor in the UK and there was definitely a BANG at the beginning and a violent shudder. I at first thought it was the Wife plugging her toy into the mains again, but I was wrong. Rolling Eyes

I cannot count the number of earthquakes I've experienced, right up to a 6.3 and I have never heard a 'bang.' The earth has moved for me though. Embarassed
xxmem1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:37 am 
Post subject:

I have only felt one earthquake, it was here last year, first a rolling rumbling sound, as though it was coming towards us, and then the shake which felt like we were lifted up and down on a wave and then the sound of the rumbling away. Awesome experience, it was only a 3.5 or something.
There was a smaller earthquake between Elhovo and Topolvgrad in the early hours of Friday, I was reading at the time, and I heard the familiar rumbling sound, I put my book down as was waiting for the shake, but it stopped.
I just mentioned it to Darren and he said he heard it too.

In 2005 when we first visited Bulgaria and we stayed in Bourgas, we were walking through the main street, and I heard and felt a sudden explosion. It was really loud, and it stopped me in my tracks, I was with Darren and a Bulgarian guy, and there were lots of people about, but it seemed as though it was only me who noticed Shocked
stewarty
Super User!
Super User!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:53 pm 
Post subject:

My GF in Shumen just told me she felt an Earthquake, lasted about 5 seconds! Maybe the epicenter is far away from her?
hopkin
Super User!
Super User!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:58 pm 
Post subject:

stewarty wrote:
My GF in Shumen just told me she felt an Earthquake, lasted about 5 seconds! Maybe the epicenter is far away from her?

Felt in the mountains above Sliven too, the house had quite a shake. And it's just come up on the website quoted a few pages back, magnitude of 4.3 http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/
More http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/earthquake.php?id=260578 The epicentre is about 30 kms from us!
missbeans
Super User!
Super User!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:10 am 
Post subject: earthquake

An earthquake most definately can and often does start with a huge "bang".......

Theres so many different types of quakes, and it depends on the geological make up in the area as well. We can get "blind thrust" quakes, and as we all know, blindly thrusting can be a most unnerving experience.......

Then theres the "harmonic tremor"......... sounds much nicer. After reading your posts it sounds as though this quake most likely is the product of a "strike-slip" fault, which is where the tectonic plates are sliding past eachother, and of course anything trying to slide past anything else can get caught on any protusion.........and when tectonic plates "catch" in this fashion, spectacularly immense pressure builds up.......and up.........until the piece of plate its caught on can no longer hold back the other plate and BANG, all the pressure, sometimes built up over many years, releases at once, and it can sound like a bomb going off.

Then you have subduction zones and reverse faults.........transform, convergent and divergent plates. Tectonic physics has enthralled me since childhood, it really is a most fascinating field of study. Frightening too, there have been so few smaller quakes since 1999 with the North Anatolian Fault, geologists (and me!) know for sure that there will be a massive and devastating quake proabably within the next 5 years (but could be tomorrow) just down the road.....in Istanbul. The pressure on that fault, one of the biggest faults on the planet and a "sister" fault to the San Andreas Fault in california, is unimaginable, and there have been almost no "relief" quakes to decrease the build up of pressure.........

We will ALL feel it in almost every part of Bulgaria when the N. Anatolian goes. One day, years into the future, There will be a huge mountain range similar to the Alps/Rockies and Istanbul will not be there. Its a geological and tectonic inevitability
I don't go to istanbul much anymore, i get a bit on edge as i look around me and see the total UNawareness..........of course nobody wants panic, but how about just quietly moving out of a city destined to be devastated ? I feel certain that if tectonics were even briefly perused by people, they would understand that in the case of this and many other faults it really is not that random at all, we KNOW it will happen, there is a pattern (read up on "earthquake storm") and thus they know its very likely to happen soon.

Well, hope thats cheered you all up. Hope your all well and happy. And have reinforced walls......... Wink
Reply to topic    My Bulgaria Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 7 of 14

Jump to: