I realise we are probably exposing ourselves to ridicule here ...but nothing ventured!
We have had wood burning stoves in boats for years and then decided to install one in our house when our gas central heat ing packed up- we also had a gas fire in the sitting room.. We had always noticed a draft in under the doors of the house (which required more heat to counetract it!) and when we installed the stove the draft was still there. We figured it was the heat going up the chimney which was drawing air in from the outside of the house to fill the vacuam?
I thought -ok this has to be, as we have to vent the carbon monoxide out through the chimney along witht the heat ? Then we thought t---this is crazy we are creating heat which has to be vented to the outside because of the poison accompanying it?
In a moment of madness we sealed up the chimney and put in a radiant electric fire 98 euro from argus 2 bars. No drafts coming in,-heat retained and the room is cozier than it ever was....!
It certainly was a revelation -but its only for one room. We dont heat the rest of the house at all,-the bedroom above gets the rising heat from the sitting room so thats ok-but the kitchen waits on cooking and a plug in electric stove. Bills have dropped by half to my amazement. Somebody explain, are we all just creating heat and venting it up the chimney ? -Or is it just our newly discovered miserly approach to room heating?
In short I am begining to think that chimneys are an enormous mistake when it comes to heat retention so any systemk which avoids them has to be quids better? Richi